WW2 In Case Of Emergency Nottingham

Don`t know if this is the right place,but worth a look.

3 Ladies - This was in 1944.

NOW ... THE SINGING IS VERY GOOD ... BUT YOU CAN'T IMAGINE THE DANCING THEY DO FOLLOWING THE SONG. YOU CAN TALK ABOUT YOUR "GYMNASTS" AND THEIR FLEXABILITY, BUT THESE THREE WOULD PUT THEM TO SHAME. INCREDIBLE. WATCH AND ENJOY ... AND THEN TRY AND IMAGINE BEING ABLE TO DO ANY OF THESE "EXERCISES."

Amazing 3 Ladies

This was in 1944!

During the first 50 seconds, they are singing, but next,

what they do, is amazing...

Click on below.

• Upvote 1

Following the deaths of Notts people in an`air-raid shelter' ,where we lived the people (mostly young wives and children), realised how pointless they were,so would meet on Blue Bell Hill in Cotterell`s milk shop , (when the siren sounded) where the feeling seemed to be we will all go together when we go.!

The film makes an interesting contrast with today.

Nottingham's civil defence arrangements were easily the most advanced in the country and were entirely due to the foresight and energy of Captain Popkess (yes, him again) and the city council. The powers-that-be came to the city and adopted many of the ideas for use in the rest of Britain.

Compare and contrast with the the storm that has battered the coastal regions of Britain for the past couple of days, and the news footage of people staring into the tv cameras bemoaning the government failure to provide sand bags.

Maybe we all need a bit more of the gumption Nottingham displayed in 1939 and less of the sitting around waiting for the men from the ministry to sort things out.

• Upvote 2

My brother was a member of the local Civil Defence Corps in the 1950's and his forte was being able to cook up hot meals for survivors of an attack utilising good old fashioned metal dust bins as ovens, so unfortunately if anything were to befall us today we would presumably all starve as trying to make a barbecue oven from a Wheelie bin would be less than successful !

In my humble opinion, the English people have an in- built part of their character that is the same as our parents and grand parents.Nottingham folks have a history of doing this,at the eleventh hour.

Don't sell yourselves short, plenty of others are in line to do just that.

Raise the flag and man the barricades,I'll come back to defend the 'rights and freedom' of any Englishman.

My Grandma and mum were in a house on Muskham Street (Opposite Portland baths) and refused to go to the shelters. A bomb fell in the back garden but failed to detonate. I've seen the recovery efforts in a book somewhere, so I know it's not just a story.