• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that is taken from almost exactly the same position as this one...

When I left the railway industry 10 years ago, I commented at my leaving do that folk reckon you should move on from one company to another every 4 or 5 years. Well, I started working for British Rai

To add to the confusion, both Arnot Hill Road and Sandfield Road used to operate under different names - Hallam's Lane and Hickling's Lane. They both seem to have changed around the 1930s when the hou

It looks from those pics to be in a far worse state than when I last went down there, 20 odd years ago. I only took a small torch, and it had been wet for days before - water was pouring into the tunnel in various places. The light beind me got smaller and smaller. Then eventually I came to a massive pile of rubbish which came from above through one of the Pepperpots. I could go no further. I was glad to get back out again!

Some old stories mentioning Mapperley Tunnel.

First is part of a large article describing a journey along the "Northern Line Extension" 13/08/1875 .

Strange that the extraction of the rock was through 6 shafts sunk into the tunnel . You would have thought it easier to draw the rock out the tunnel on rails as work progressed .

11935562733_6c57d883ac.jpg

A cave-in in the tunnel in 26.01.1925

11935284515_4382809705_z.jpg

A long piece about the construction of the Suburban Railway from 03.09.1887 mentioning the Mapperley Tunnel but this is 12 years after the first article ......are there 2 Mapperley Tunnels ?

11935562493_f7d7bcc0b9_z.jpg

11935563493_c0b9f6873d_z.jpg

11935735034_1b3ab843b7_z.jpg

11935285815_8aae05d8cb_z.jpg

11935734204_fc65fc68e2.jpg

The 'Mapperley Tunnel' on the Suburban Railway referred to there was known as Sherwood Tunnel by the time it opened. It was the tunnel with the northern end near Sherwood station at the top of Winchester Street where the blocks of flats are now (assuming they're still there - haven't been up there for years!)

The tunnel near the flats was called Ashwell's Tunnel I believe. I remember walking through it around 1967. We sat at the top of the northern portal eating our sandwiches.

I used to deliver milk in those flats - Winchester Court and Woodthorpe Court. Again a long while ago - 1974.

There were four tunnels on the N.S.R.

1) Sneinton Tunnel 183 yards long

2) Thorneywood Tunnel 408 yards long

3) Sherwood Tunnel 442 yards long

4) Ashwell's Tunnel 70 yards long

There was a 5th tunnel(110yuards long) off of Thorneywood station to the Nottingham Patent Brickworks.

This short branch was rope worked.

Info"The story of the Nottingham Suburban Railway"(volume 1) by David G Birch

Bubblewrap, If I remember rightly didn't the tunnel emerge on Carlton Road just below the Porchester Road and Cardale Road Junction and during the 1980's was used as a registered Gun Club Firing Range

As several people have mentioned, Ashwell tunnel is the one under Woodthorpe Drive, which is the winding road along the bottom of this picture. The row of trees mark the path of the tunnel..

ashwellb.jpg

If you go along Woodthorpe Drive you can see the embankment/cutting at the northern end (from the bridge wall towards the sign in the grass on the right).

ashwellnow.jpg

From Picture the Past, clearly after the lines were lifted.

ashwell.jpg

Bubblewrap, If I remember rightly didn't the tunnel emerge on Carlton Road just below the Porchester Road and Cardale Road Junction and during the 1980's was used as a registered Gun Club Firing Range

That was when Post Office Telephones (later BT) had Marmion Road Technical Engineering Centre (TEC) in the cutting there. The tunnel was used by the PO Shooting Club, although the local residents probably never heard a shot.

If anyone wants to go to Mapperley tunnel:

OK here's how you get there: You want the Gedling end Of Arnold Lane at the old pit entrance (later Gedling tip). Enter at the side of the gate post. Walk down the road through the green bar gate and keep walking. On the left you will come to a field. Hop over the little fence. Take the diagonal path to the far end of the field and hop over the fence. You will see a Y junction of paths. Take the left hand one and walk for five mins until you come to the old railway bridge. Go down into the cutting and the tunnel is directly ahead of you. It's pretty muddy so take care. It's an eerie place and supposedly haunted. It's worth going though. It won't be there forever. The world has forgotten about it, it's an oddity that doesn't belong in the modern world.

As mentioned in another railway tunnel thread on here, my wife's brothers best mate (a Nottm businessman) owns the house just off Woodthorpe drive and he has the remains of the Southern end of the tunnel in his garden.

His original idea was to use it as a wine store, and spent a fortune building a closed timber facade to it, but it proved to flood during heavy rain, so now it is just a garden store.

My brother in law often house sits there (looking after his mates dog) so I have actually been there a few times, and seen it first hand.

By the 80s the tunnel was used by the Arnold and Carlton Rifle and Pistol club run by a guy called Mike. The GPO had their own range in what was going to be a nuclear shelter under the Bath Street offices. For those who worked for the GPO it was run by TK

Colin

I also worked as a Post Office Tech and spent a fair time on the Bath street Parcel sorting office, both original construction and some maintenance, (as did another member here "The engineer" ) I remember the bunker well and did a fair bit of electrical work in there.

I also did a lot of work at the Brook st letter sorting office.

Cannot for the life of me remember that the bunker would be big enough though as a shooting range ! unless they removed some of the internal walls, but again as it was all built in the foundations in reinforced concrete, with very thick walls, that could have proven very difficult.

And then again time plays tricks on our memories.

Newbasfordlad What is the reference to a TK in your thread and the GPO ?

Bilboro-lad mentioned about the area around the MAPPERLEY TUNNEL being a bit spooky . This account from 19.04.1890 gives an account of a railway worker being killed at the mouth of the tunnel .

11936352446_bbd1aa0500_z.jpg

11935961294_1b13cd972c_z.jpg

• Upvote 1

#48. It was tight but they got a 20 yard pistol range in there, licensed up to full bore. One of the biggest jobs was cladding all that concrete to prevent ricochets.

TK was one of the gaffers first name Terry but known as TK. Big mate of mine we have been shooting together for over 35 years.

Colin