• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that is taken from almost exactly the same position as this one...

When I left the railway industry 10 years ago, I commented at my leaving do that folk reckon you should move on from one company to another every 4 or 5 years. Well, I started working for British Rai

To add to the confusion, both Arnot Hill Road and Sandfield Road used to operate under different names - Hallam's Lane and Hickling's Lane. They both seem to have changed around the 1930s when the hou

Great photos . Brings back memories of playing down there when I was a nipper !

I now wish even more that I'd found time to walk down there in the 60s. Between playing Rugby, cross country training, chasing diminishing steam trains and of course girls.

It seemed really odd revisiting somewhere that I last visited in 1969 when I was 16, so about 45 years ago. It's a lot more overgrown now and the cutting is less deep. There is virtually no clearance under the bridge today. I guess it will soon be filled in when the country park goes ahead, so if you want to see it before it's gone I'd do it this year if I were you.

Brings back teenage memories of when we used to dare each other who could get from one end to the other on a dark night without using a torch !

Then in later life I used to shoot rabbits on the farm adjoining it.

Thanks for the map Cliff Ton it reminded me that when probably only junior school age we would go over a gate from Digby Avenue and down the hill probably by the golf course into a valley . At the bottom were some ponds where we would try and find newts and tadpoles .

Strange because in my brainbox, I imagined the tunnel was in that area . Didn't realise we had gone beyond that and crossed Arnold Lane to get there . We did the typical kids thing of putting half-pennies on the line though have no memory of actually seeing a train .

I also have a memory one cold winters day when I was probably not much more than 7 or 8 , of going down from Digby and crossing the golf course and then going up the other side to the football field ( back miners welfare ?) and getting my wellies stuck in the thick mud in some gateway . Couldnt move and one of the bigger kids had to rescue me !

• Upvote 1

Which is a bit different from my main memory of the golf course...

Walking on it in the snow of 1963, only to see my older brother drop up to his shoulders into a snow drift where the ground level changed.

Still laugh about it now. :)

Or sledging down the hill. You had to aim for the narrow footbridge over the stream, or else you got wet.

I can't place it CT where is it?

If you get an old 1" O.S. Map (112)

or the metricated version(129)

and go to grid references SK5944 & SK6044 will give you were the tunnel was.

If you can get a pre 1960 1" map the rail line is still in there.

The old map at #12 also shows the colliery line which ran to the landsale on Plains Road. It reached there by a rope worked incline.

There is an article on this in "Railway Bylines" Volume 6 Issue 11 October 2001. pages 522-525.

Cliff Ton,

I just had a look at the map on #14,and as it is the area i grew up in I couldn't resist having a look at the house i lived in before I left Nottingham. When I looked at Berry Hill Grove, Phoenix Estate on the Map, I saw that the pink flowering Cherry tree in the garden was in full blossom and the fence, garage and veranda were not built, but when I went onto street view, they were all there, so there is some time difference on the maps. I thought i would mention it in case it makes any difference to your research.

By strange coincidence, this appeared in my Facebook timeline today. I'll forgive the mis-spelling of Mapperley!

"Ghost Train of Mapperly Tunnel
Two school children playing in the tunnel heard a steam engine rapidly approaching them – terrified they ran out into the fresh air. A few seconds after their escape they realised that the train could not have existed, as the north end of the tunnel was barricaded"

http://nottinghamhiddenhistoryteam.wordpress.com/2012/09/03/ghosts-of-nottinghamshire-railways/

Just curious. How long is that tunnel? On Cliff Tons photo at #5 there looks like a dot of light in the distance. Other end of the tunnel or an approaching train? :-). Wouldn't want to walk in there. Isn't it prone to roof collapses?