Smooching through Arnold today I found a couple of books in a charity shop.

Nottingham Memories 50s & 60s Nottingham with plenty of pictures.

Bulwell & Basford A selection of picture postcards.

Bestwood the Story of a Village by Alan Parr. Loads of pictures with captions and name lists.

The Cromford & High Peak Railway by A Rimmer. Loads of pictures and detail.

Not bad for £2-50p.

• Upvote 6

#2 That was the first one to catch my eye, I have always had a soft spot for that particular railway. I can remember when very young being out for a drive with the old man and having to stop at a level crossing on the Via Gellia. (spelling).

Then in my teens I fell in love with the high peak and about 3 years after closure I would be 23 at the time I walked from the sheds beside the Cromford canal along the route as far as Harpur Hill.

Colin

Remember going one Saturday morning in the early 60s with a couple of friends, and cadging a ride from Middleton Top to Friden and back - brake van going, cab coming back. Hopton incline - was it really 1 in 14? - was always a struggle even for a J94 with 2 wagons and a brakevan. As you approached Hopton from the west, there was this unnerving view of the track seemingly disappearing over a cliff edge. Great fun.

This may be the worst post I have ever made...but just what is the point of this fanatical looking at trains and tracks. Its just a bit of machinery designed to do a job and now its old and been superseded by yet another bit of machinery. Why bother walking along a bit of track that's been abandoned and overgrown when you have buses and cars that do the job quicker.?

I am standing by for a veritable hail of indignant postings and shed loads of Hate mail but its all beyond me.

• Upvote 1

Re #8 yes Matt, it is the worst post you could possibly make. However, not wanting to be banned I will not respond . Except to say that I feel the same towards golfers, anglers and adorers of minus-minded "celebs".

• Upvote 2

I think everyone has their favourite "oh my god, not again" topics which crop up on these pages. I'm aware of the ones which drive me up the wall, but I just ignore/bypass them and move onto the next thing.

Being a Moderator I could just delete everything I don't like :cool: but of course that would be a bit dumb. And there would be quite a few gaps where threads used to be.........

It's like watching television; if you don't like the subject in front of you, change channel; or in Nottstalgia case, go to another thread.

One man's anorak is another man's tedium.

• Upvote 6

This wasn't meant to be controversial or trolling. I genuinely wanted to know why. But, its okay, I accept that some people like walking and some like watching trains. I don't have any problem with that, . What I do have a problem with is , because I ask a question that I genuinely wanted a bit of knowledge and I anticipated people asking " why" what I didn't anticipate was being called a troll or should I say " accused of trolling". That is why I will not be posting on this site again.

When I was a kid my mates and I used to be on the footbridge that went over the railway track on Meadow Lane. We had the trainspotters books and used to get the trains number as it went below us. I used to love getting covered in the steam that came from the trains funnel. My love for the steam trains has never left me and I can understand people like basfordred, NewBasfordlad, StephenFord and all the others. I'd like to contribute to the topic but I know nothing about trains, stations or the tracks. A couple of years ago I bought a new car from a place in Chesterfield and, rather than have it delivered, I decided to fetch it myself. The reason for this was because I fancied going on the train, something I hadn't done for many a year. It would have been fantastic if it had been a steam train but I still enjoyed my day out. I realise this may sound silly to someone who is a regular rail user but I found it quite exciting to travel on a train again, albeit a short journey. Mattsdigs (#8), who has a right to his views that should be respected, doesn't seem to agree with the comments of the railway enthusiasts and their love of the past. I think that it's good to remember the past, whatever the subject is. I have a love for the Blues and 50's Rock % Roll and will listen to Blues songs from as early as the 20's. It's just something inside you that lets you feel and have a love for the music, the railway or anything else.

• Upvote 2

Then you should word your replies appropriately.

ie that (like me) trains and their numbers are not my cup of tea.

However I have been spotted, and photographed photographing trains at Nottingham Midland.

Anorak Me?, No.. But a fantastic subject for photography, Yes

The label referred to the post and not yourself as you usually post interesting material and responses.

micheal i think all of us who lived near railways when we were young still like steam trains i love to watch and the smells asociated with them its the nostalgia of it i personaly no nothing about the engions or boilers and tracks etc but i know i like the lookof them.

Actually I am not a train fan as such. I love machinery and engineering particularly older heavy engineering. Hence I like steam locomotives, but am quite happy spending the day in the engine house at Papplewick pumping station.

I walked the C & H P R for an entirely different reason I also love Derbyshire particularly the High Peak.

Others can sit in their cars & buses they will never see some of the sights I have seen whilst out and about. Still they can always couch potato and watch the edited version on the goggle box.

I spent a lot of my weekends from 1964/66 travelling to Birmingham and Wolverhampton by train and reading the posts that you train enthusiasts put on here brings back lots of feelings i had forgotten. To see the pictures of the trains with the carriages that held 6/8 people, where you put your luggage on racks above your head, always interest me as I traveled on those very often. The photo's also take me back to my childhood and the games we played on the bridges over the tracks( mentioned in other threads). I would never have thought "Trains" would have interested me until I started to read the posts on the subject. The Steam Trains were a big part of my early life and its nice to have the memories brought back. I have just had a debate with hubbs and he confirmed about the carriages but we think mostly the trains were Diesel engines!

Sorry you feel the need to leave the forum Matt, you made some good posts. Perhaps you could reconsider your decision and resume posting at some future time. Folk are always protective of their beliefs and interests, that is why I personally find this forum fascinating and never boring.

This wasn't meant to be controversial or trolling. I genuinely wanted to know why. But, its okay, I accept that some people like walking and some like watching trains. I don't have any problem with that, . What I do have a problem with is , because I ask a question that I genuinely wanted a bit of knowledge and I anticipated people asking " why" what I didn't anticipate was being called a troll or should I say " accused of trolling". That is why I will not be posting on this site again.

I don't think you should leave Nottstalgia Matt. Nobody is perfect, apart from me, as I tell the wife, but let's face it, we could all bore for England with our own particular interests. I know I could! Don't be gone for long.

• Upvote 2

Mattsdigs I respect your views. Every day I look in the mirror and tell it 'You are a right trainloving geek' I used to love football. I hate golf but respect them as like it.

..but just what is the point of this fanatical looking at trains and tracks. Its just a bit of machinery designed to do a job and now its old and been superseded by yet another bit of machinery. Why bother walking along a bit of track that's been abandoned and overgrown when you have buses and cars that do the job quicker.?

To actually answer the question which kicked it all off, I'm not a trainspotter as much as some others here, but I'm interested in old railways in as much as they are connected to old Nottingham. I'm not bothered about which steam loco pulled which train on a certain line; but I'm interested in the fact that "there used to be a railway line here and now it's all filled in. What did it look like when the railway was here - which I never knew - and are there any traces of it remaining?"

That's why this person likes looking at abandoned, overgrown tracks.

• Upvote 1

Sometimes I think I must be an abandoned overgrown whatever.

But! I love railway history which involves old railways, steam trains, railway folklore and I love the smell and atmosphere created by a steam engine, stationary or locomotive. I also love old cars, lorries, trams, buses, trolleybuses, industry and old canals. Funny thing, my wife loves all of these as well but does not study it like I do. She used to live right next to the Robin Hood Line at Lenton and when railway strikes occurred and no trains were running she could not sleep at night.

When I was a kid railways as a hobby was always a boys thing, but when I worked on Derby station, I was horrified to see little girls collecting train numbers. I used to think "Horrors! Is nothing sacred?" LOL

• Upvote 2

Mattsdigs, Don't go you are a valued member and I feel its good for me too turn and look at myself and my rather geekish interests. Like other people I could bore the pants off everyone but it takes all kinds to make a world. We all need to bve different and not clones of one another.