Benjamin. Re: #24. Obviously people came and went, but in the 50s we would have had the Girlings next door at No. 38, with the Barbers next to them. Girlings were unusual in that they had a car. Morris 1000 and at some point I think a Beetle. Kids were Lynne and David. At 42 were the Gambles, related to the Devney's who live much nearer the Padstow end.Kids were Pauline, Susan ?, and Graham. At 44 Sanders with their lad Gerald and at 46 Bramley's, with Pauline, Peter and Harold.

At 30, Armstrong's with their lad David and at 28, Chambers with Richard, Judith and Barbara. 26. last I remember were Champmans I think then at 24, Hollifields.I believe the lads Ray and ? are still around the area.

Does that help?

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello,   Thank you for your reply Benjamin, and thank you for the welcome DJ. Both are really appreciated.   I spoke to my Aunt, Mum’s sister, this morning and she maintains that t

I'm back Mandie,,,so much to tell you don't know where to start  lol,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,yes indeed Leybourne drive i'm sure was finished just before the war,,,i recall the remnants of an ''Air raid shelte

I moved onto Southglade Rd. (No. 40) around 1951/2, when I was barely 3. Prevously we lived at 76 Glaisdale Drive, Bilboro. Back then, there was no Beckhampton, no Rise Park, or Top Valley, or Bestw

Kathleen Barber was in my year at school think she married Trev Widdowson also in my year,last i heard Trev was a Crofter near Inverness,Ray Hollifield worked with me at Marsdens for short time,saw him in Bulwell few months ago,saw Ged Sanders about a year ago,used to play football with him for BRSA.

Don't recall the other names,but names i do recall your way......Susan Brearley,Josie and Alfie Morris,still see Josie in Bulwell and sadly Alfie passed away this year,Julie Oldfield,John Lewis,then round the corner on Andover, Jimmy Webster,Jean Duriez,the Westons and Worralls oh and the Wyers,

Again i could go on,but i'd be on here all day....lol.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Benjamin. Re: #28, yep. I remember most of those names. I think it was JUlie Oldfield who showed me and my late sister Pam how to make Ginger Beer. Terrific stuff. We had to keep putting the corks back every morning because they blew out during the night. Sorry to hear about Alfie. He was a character.

Col

Right, prepare for a long read! I've spent some time studying the photo in #25 and I'm ready to try to make some sense of it. It's difficult because the foreshortening effect has flattened out all of the hills, but here goes.

Firstly, I think this pic must be pre-1935, as I have a 1935 map which shows the route of Andover Rd and Gainsford Crs., but they're not on the pic.

1. In the very bottom of the pic near the right corner, the pavilion for the playing fields of Nottm High School can just be seen. Immediately above it is 'Tring Vale', the bottom end of Heathfield Estate. Moving left brings you to the bottom of Staplehurst Drive. My Mum's sister lived near the top of that at No. 5 for decades until she passed a couple of years ago. Heathfield is very new as there are no trees visible at all. In the 50's and 60s I was always fascinated by a 'Monkey Puzzle' tree which grew in the front of the house that sits on the corner of Staplehurst and Heathfield. Wonder if it's still there.

2. City Hospital. When I was little you could see over the wall of City Hospital if you were on the top deck of a bus. Somebody kept pigs in the area around that white building that's visible at the Arnold Rd end of the hospital site.

3. Just below the Junction of Arnold/Hucknall Rds, you can see the former LNER 'Derbyshire and Staffordshire' railway which came up from Bulwell and Basford ( AKA Basford Northern) station, (left to right in the pic) . It dived under Arnold Rd between the Heathfield pub and Sunrise Ave, then under Hucknall Rd before joining with the Leen Valley Line, which came up the right side of Hucknall Rd (as viewed) from Bestwood Colliery via Rigleys and then on beyond City Hospital and on to Daybrook.

4. Following Hucknall Rd north (i.e. upwards on pic) just beyond the houses on the left the old Basford Hospital is visible, but I can't see the small cluster of houses (Paton Road?) through which 'Ha'penny Bridge was accessed, which led over the Great Central Line to a footpath down to Park Lane. Andover Road now runs along the inside of that curve of Hucknall Rd, with a footpath replacing the old Leen Valley line.

5. So where is Marble Arch? I'd put it close to the apex of the bend in Hucknall Rd, where a field boundary with a couple of small trees along it meets the railway. The arch is now gone of couse, but the gap in the embankment is still there by where the shops used to be on Andover.

6. Which brings us to the position of the crossing at over the Leen Valley Railway at the junction of Southglade Rd with Andover. Where the Gala Bingo is now. If you follow Hucknall Rd up from where I think Marble Arch was, you can just make out the bridge over the Great Central leading to St Alban's Rd/Kersall Drive, on the left. A little further round the bend is another field boundary running left to right. It has no trees on it and it is pretty much opposite the top of Bulwell Common, where the NCV Garage would later be built. (Now being demolished).

Also if you look at the railway embankment up from that field boundary, you can see it gets higher, because the field to the right has a hollow in it. That's the first of the two fields opposite Southglade. The boundary hedge with the next field was opposite No's 46/48 Southglade but it's easy to forget that prior to the fields being used for landfill in the 60's they sloped away down from Southglade and then up again towards the current 'Ridgeway'. So Southglade basically faced two fields.

If you follow the 'Southglade Hedge' along a third field to the right, you come to a cluster of trees and buildings. That was Jarve Goddard's Farm and was more or less opposite where Eastglade Rd/Morrel Bank are now.

If you start again at the railway and follow two Southglade fields to the right, you see a hedge running north, with four or five trees on it. That is where Southglade Sports Centre now stands. A little further along Southglade a short, thick dark line runs south. That is pretty much Padstow Road and the boundary running to the right from its top is where the old path to Padstow School and St Matthews Church ran. Also visible there is the 'Spinney' which was between the top of the old WW2 POW camp, and the Padstow School grounds.

Finally, if you look again at the hedge running to Jarve's Farm from the bottom of Southglade, just below it is a thin dark line. I believe that is where there was a slight ridge which separated Jarve's meadow from the steeper bank leading up to the 'camp'. I recall that when Jarve held a couple of pig roasts around the time of the Coronation of Liz II, there were little stalls backing up to that little ridge. My brother reckons bits of that ridge are still discernible there despite the building of housing etc.

Coming back to Hucknall Rd, it is possible to see Rigleys works and the Golf Club buildings opposite, as well as Bulwell Common station. Later, Rigleys would have whole rows of sidings running south towards Southglade, filled with railway wagons awaiting whatever attention.

Fascinating stuff.

Col

• Upvote 1

I knew Marian Frost and Sandra Binch, 1958-61 at school, wonder where they are now ? - Oh, and do not forget Frank Smith, didn't he emigrate to NZ ? .....

Spoke to Marian Frosts Husband a few months ago,she was in my class at school and now lives on Rise Park,Sandra Binch i knew as well,last seen her in the 70s when she was running a Pub in Stafford,as for Frank last time i saw him was early 70s he was playing in Goal when we played Meridian,i heard he was living in America? you seem to know a good few of my old school friends 'Blonde',...........prob. because we are same age.....very young 70...lol.

No, It's definitely Paton Rd, which is crossed at right angles by Orville Rd. Th streets beyond came after the railway.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Paton+Rd,+Nottingham,+Nottinghamshire+NG5+1ND/@52.9926923,-1.1736367,17z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x4879c1b5e9ba098b:0xba9c8bf190ae4cde

Col

Drifting slightly from the Bestwood topic, I was given a book last week Radford Colliery the Bread and Herring pit.

The book almost looks home made, there is lots of pictures but they all seem to be poor photocopies. If it did'nt have a proper bar coded price ticket on the back I would have said it was self done.

One of the articles is about a struggling miner, who was given a brand new house at Aspley.

116 wendover drive

rent 6s.6d per week

rates and water charges 2s.8d per week

tenancy starting 4th may 1931

That might have been a lot of money then as they soon got behind with the rent and had to move out

Interesting that those sums add up to 9s and 2d... which is exactly what my Dad always told me he got for his first week's wages as a lad at Bestwood.Pit. That would be around 1934/5.

Col

#42 dj360

the area after Paton rd crossed Orville,when the Railway came about,had a bridge over it which we called Ha'penny bridge,that same bridge now sits across the river Leen halfway between Basford and Bulwell.,Over the bridge going down towards Park lane was 'The Jitty' which had allotments either side,then led down to a row of very old 'Cottages' had a mate lived there (well his grandparents did) Tony Wright.

This was a well trodden route for my Family from Bestwood estate in the 50s to the Standard of England' pub on Park lane,with me usually following on my Three wheeled bike,the Bridge was also my favourite spot for Train spotting the 'Master cutler' and 'South Yorkshireman'.

Yes thats the path,and you can see the old cottages at the bottom.At the bottom centre of the map the Tunnel,i also remember we knew it as 'Rathole' and had 1898 carved across it,we often dared each other to go thru it,which was a bit scary because it curved and so far in it was 'Pitch black',the last time we attempted it we found a Dead body,which i mentioned on a previous thread.

Benjamin. Are you saying they actually moved the old Ha'penny Bridge to a new site?

I don't remember the bridge prior to Paton Rd. Don't know when Paton and Orville were built, but I'm guessing just pre WW2. I do remember the allotments and cottages though. That was one of our routes when heading to Osborne's Hairdressers at the bottom of Park Lane. Going further on to Northern Baths, we would take the old path next to the railway that took you alongside Basford Northern Station and brought you out by an old WW2 Pill Box at Northern Bridge.

I also often sat on my bike on Ha'penny Bridge, watching the trains. the York-Bournmouth-York was another regular.

If you can find it, there's an excellent book by Malcolm Castledene called 'Railways North of Nottingham' ('In the latter days of steam'), You need Part Two..(Book Law Publications. 2004. ISBN 1 901945 33 2) which has great shots of all the railways in the area, including a couple of Ha'penny Bridge.

In fact their website is here: http://www.booklaw.co.uk/shop/index.php I've just called them and they still stock both Vol 1 and Vol 2. I've now ordered Vol. 1. to complete my set. They are also down to £9.99 each, from a cover price of £19.99 each.

251-large_default.jpg252-large_default.jpg

Col

• Upvote 1

Yes the old Ha'penny bridge is over the Leen,........i also went to Osbourne's for Haircut,ist time my Dad took me, he always went there as did my Grandad who lived on Saxondale drive, Funny thing is my cousin lives in what was the Barbers and has done for a few years now.

I'll have a look at that web site......thanks.

• Upvote 1

P.S. Cliff-Ton. The second map you posted is later than the first because it has an additional row of houses on Hucknall Rd, just below the footpath to Ha'penny Bridge.

But I think both must be pre 1935, because I have a 'Crown Copyright' map dated 1935 showing Paton Rd.

• 1 month later...

It certainly does Ray,..........Robbies pic. is excactly as it was was when i was there,...i left in 1960,after its demolision i went on the site site to get myself a Brick for old times sake,but they'd all been powdered............surely a use could have been found for the building,that was only constructed in the early 50s.