why were you punished

I was caned eveyday for refusing to wear hideous NHS glasses,other beatings with hand slipper and cane for minor misbehaviour,basfordred explains on another post how he was caned for nothing on one occasion.How did your school punish ,and for what reasons did they punish,am i right in thinking that grammar schools were not so keen to use cane or slipper .

FFGS were very keen to use the cane . I can testify to that . I was once caned for "Instigating 1st formers" . What ever that was. I was in the 4th year at the time and was a dinner monitor , so I had six youngsters at my table. Once after dinner I was in the playground telling a few young uns about having some beer at Skeggy during the summer hols. The deputy head hauled me in the heads office and said I had been filling youngsters heads with rubbish. That was it. Twice on each hand as usual.

• Upvote 2

I was at Long Eaton Grammar, and I have to say that by comparison with folks' recollections on here, it was very civilised. The founder and first headmaster Samuel Clegg was way ahead of his time in abhorring corporal punishment. The second headmaster F E ("Drac") Roberts was strict but fair, and I think worked entirely with a system of detentions. The third headmaster (who reigned during my time there) G D B Gray, did countenance the use of the cane, but it was used very sparingly (you had really been foolhardy in your bad ways to get caned - in effect, it was seen as only just short of expulsion). I do not ever remember the cane being used in class, always in private - and the deputy head was usually delegated to administer it, after a virtual court-martial procedure. The games master, Ron Bassett was fairly free with the plimsoll, but rarely more than one stroke.

• Upvote 2

I think in order from the easiest to the most painful 'disciplinaries' I regularly received at Trent Bridge Secondary Modern Boys were:

6)

(Pop) Williams (Music - RI): Every lesson I got his pathetic little strap. After the others had left the classroom?

5)

(Joe) Currah or as it Curran? (RI): The lecture that went with the punishment was worse than the cane itself. But he was fair, you knew you'd done wrong if he handed out the cane.

5)

Piggy Roberts (Woodwork): The git!

4)

Bill Baines (Headmaster): Average painwise methinks. Mostly for fighting.

3)

Mr Webb (Tech drawing): Sadistic burke! Dirty hands, talking in class.

2)

Mr Humphreys (Maths): Occasionally he'd give you the cane in front of the whole school.

1)

Mr Atlas (Sports): Large size plimsoll taken from the cage and applied repeatedly with hurtful vigour to my rear end. God they stung! Didn't find out why I as being caned.

Happy memories... well maybe not!

• Upvote 1

I hated FFGS, I don't think I learned a thing after 12 years of age. What made it worse was the fact that when I was 15 I couldn't leave until the following year because of some rule change due to my birthday being end of August, therefore I had to stay on until I was 16 and 11 months. I just farted about, skived off train spotting to Carrington and blew my O levels. I learnt more in my first 6 months employment than I had in the previous 4+ years at Grammar School.

I had plenty of cane & leather strap & Player school, sometimes unjustified as well. I think it was used to keep kids in order before they got out of hand.

A pity it's not used today !

• Upvote 1

Most of my punishments were detentions but I used to get a cuff round the ear now and then. My normal crime was talking in class. I'm still a chatterbox now.

In assembly at Trent Bridge a lad further back (I was the smallest in the class so stood at the front) was looking gormless & I was laughing at him. I then clocked Pot Leg Bill (the Headmaster) looking at me & tried to look innocent. When the hymn finished he said "a boy over there seems to find something amusing" I knew he meant me & smirked, he then launched himself towards me & smacked me round the lughole, the whole school burst out laughing. It didn't really hurt but I nearly died of embarrassment, I went bright red, I was teased about it for ages after..

• Upvote 3

We never had corporal punishment at the Wm Crane senior girls' school, thank goodness, not even a blackboard rubber thrown! But I do remember getting a good hiding from me mam, with the back of the wooden hairbrush, on my bum, for defying her. She said don't go to the park, and I did. Seemed a good idea at the time.

• Upvote 3
Guest Phoenix

Lol, this thread's another time travel one for me. Punishment. I remember a detention for smoking in the street and bringing the school into disrepute. That was nothing compared to what would happen to me at home for both smoking and being out of school at lunchtime. Seeking proactive resolution, I forged my mums signature on the detention slip. I'd do the detention, think up an excuse for being late ( detention meant you missed the school bus, so to get home was a journey to Arnold, then Nottingham, then out to Radcliffe. So not home till after 6pm). Great plan, poorly executed. I signed the slip and lost it in school before the end of the afternoon. Luckily, not, a teacher found it, sussed the forgery, told the head. It all went pear shaped...

I got home to parents who'd been told of the deception and wanted explanation. It was 'orrible! I had to cough to being off school at lunchtime, smoking and worst of all, forgery. Bit of a result though, mum said she'd had to double check because she'd thought it was her signature!

I was close to being suspended, but after discussions, had to do detention every day for a week.

• Upvote 4
Guest Phoenix

Yes, you're probably right a charlesworth. But I learned some valuable lifelong lessons which stood me in better stead than any punishment. 50 plus years on I still feel guilty about my deceit, the forgery. It was childhood stupidity, but it's lived with me!

At Annie Holgate TG they ran an A and Z System.....A's for good work etc etc and Z's for any misdemeanour, including unsatisfactory work. 3 Z's and you got a detention, 3 detentions and you got the cane! That was per term. Fortunately I think I only had 3 Z's all through the 7 years I was there, but there were the regulars. These were read out in assembly on Monday mornings, so the whole school knew who was "for it"!

• Upvote 2

Phoenix always thought that punishment was a waste of time because it just made me anti authoritarian which remains with me to this day, however you and someone earlier on another post have made me realise how those times affected the way i brought up my son ,he was virtually the perfect kid in that he never gave me any problems what so ever,and indirectly that is probably due to the lessons i learnt in my childhood and the values my mother taught me and us selecting best areas to liveto ensure a decent school for him.

• Upvote 2

Bilboro lad #4. So they were still doing public canings in 67 eh? I left in 59 hated it there. Only ever got the cane once but the sarcasm of some teachers and general attitude were a pain in the butt. Gym teacher Mcintire used the slipper on all of us one time. Some electricians were rewiring the gym and one of them cussed at one of the others. We got blamed for it. Like another poster commented I learned more in my first year at work than I learned there. Main thing I learned there was to keep a low profile.

• Upvote 2

I was about ten/eleven years old living on Glapton Road the Medders, there was an entry at the back that other kids used to run up & down, this annoyed me. I decided to stand on the wall & wee over them as they ran past, I got every single one. : ) :) Irate Mams with their urine soaked kids turned up at the front door to tell Mam what I'd done. I then got the biggest good hiding on earth while the other kids & their Mams watched, not my best day :( :(

We never had corporal punishment at the Wm Crane senior girls' school, thank goodness, not even a blackboard rubber thrown! But I do remember getting a good hiding from me mam, with the back of the wooden hairbrush, on my bum, for defying her. She said don't go to the park, and I did. Seemed a good idea at the time.

We certainly had corporal punishment at Wm Crane Senior Boys' School in the 50s. The one I had it from most, with a 1/4" thick split leather strap, was math's teacher Mr Dryden. I've never been any good at math's since.

Colly #11, reminds me of Fairham Comp days.

Other ex Comps on here will confirm that if Mr Riddell (Fred) was in charge of assembly and someone caused him offence (and he always found at least one), there would follow a right rigmarole. Once the other masters had left, he'd point into the massed throng and say "you boy" to the astonishment of the innocent party. "Turn to your left. Now touch the boy behind you on the shoulder" etc, etc, until he'd spent a couple of minutes navigating his way to his intended victim, who would be told "I saw you yawning during prayers" (or some other minor misdemeanour), "wait behind, I want a word with you!". If you were part of this foreplay you'd be hoping to be one of those asked to "pass on" to somebody else. If it all stopped at you, you'd be trying hard not to show you were bothered, while at the same time wondering what type of punishment would be coming your way. More often than not it would be a detention, but that didn't stop you thinking the worst.

Fred went on to head up Notts Education Authority for 15 years and got glowing tributes after he died in Nov 2011. I imagine most ex pupils would be surprised at that!

Another teacher there was ex-borstal (Mr Bullard I think), and if you crossed him he'd grab the fine hairs of your sideboards and lift you on to your tiptoes with them. That DID hurt.

I got plenty of detentions, but only once got clouted - on the backside with a size 10 plimsole for talking in a PE lesson (Mr Shelmerdine).

In my naïve Greencroft Junior school days, I actually did once follow Mrs Puckey's instruction to "wash your mouth out with soap & water" after sticking my tongue out at Mr Bailey behind his back. They must have had a right laugh in the staffroom! Well, I was only 8 years old, and teachers were always in the right (weren't they?).

• Upvote 2

My mum's right hand was like a chameleon's tongue. You didn't see it coming but you certainly felt it. I was always told not to play near the canal. What??? You're joking!! What an adventure playground. A real draw for us little lads. I'd get home and she say, " You've been down the canal haven't you" "No mum. Honest" Except if you play down the canal you come back stinking like the canal. So I'd get 2 good hidings. One for going to the canal and the other for telling fibs. And for good measure I'd have to strip off in the porch. "You're not coming in the house with those smelly clothes on!!!" Happy days.

• Upvote 2

That was the canal I used to hang around. If you went over the train bridge and took the right hand diagonal path to the canal there was a huge line of trees. The first one was really bent over and ALWAYS had a rope swing on it. If you let go the rope half way you went straight into the canal. Do you remember it?

• Upvote 1

How could I forget. There was always one somewhere. Because I was so little I couldn't swing like the bigger kids. We used to catch tadpoles and sticklebacks in the overflow streams.