Had a minor earthquake here last night around 10:30 local time. Centered in S Carolina. Scary rumbling and shuddering feeling. No damage that we can see. Anyone remember the one in Nottingham in the mid fifties. It felt about like that. About ready to move back to Canada. Rather freeze than end up under a pile of rubble. :-)

We have the New Madrid fault in "our back yard", been recently found to extend right down to the Gulf, was once thought to be an odd few hundred mile inland fault. It's constantly on the move...

Had a minor earthquake here last night around 10:30 local time. Centered in S Carolina. Scary rumbling and shuddering feeling. No damage that we can see. Anyone remember the one in Nottingham in the mid fifties. It felt about like that. About ready to move back to Canada. Rather freeze than end up under a pile of rubble. :-)

I was at school at High Pavement at Bestwood. Some damage to the art room wall. Also the railway bridge at Bulwell Market station was damaged.

funnily enough bulwell Brian i was only about 300 yards from you at the time,and funnily enough in Art class on the second floor at padstow school,all i remember is Mr yarwood the teacher shouting dont panic,before he legged it down the stairs,before us :ohmy:

I take each day at a time Dave, if it happens, it happens, not much I can really do about it..Have lived through a couple when we lived in California and one when I lived in Australia, now that one really scared me!!

I don't remember one in the 50's but then again I wasn't born til 57!! But I do remember one in the 90's, think its epicentre was Melton Mowbray? I was in the living room at the time and heard this almighty rumble and the walls seemed to be fluid as they moved....it was really weird. Spooked the horses too. They came racing down the paddock to their stable.

Another I remember just a few years ago, when we were in Newthorpe, it woke us up as the bed shook and apparently the neighbours were out in the street wondering what was going on....we recognised what it was and went back to sleep!!

There is a lot of geological evidence that a lot of ground movement is associated with old coal mine workings settling, and roadways closing up, in old coal mining areas.

Manchester has it's fair share of minor "earthquakes" due to the amount of old colliery workings beneath the city.

Some time back I was watching a documentary about earthquakes throught history in Europe, and never realised there is a couple of major faults cutting across Poland, Germany, through France and finishing up cutting the UK in half.

The history "bods" attribute a couple of German Cities levelled by a major one in the middle ages, but couldn't find any reports of injured or killed persons, just huge property damage.

Since then, major urban centres have been built along both fault lines, estimate when the next quake occurs could have the death toll in the hundreds of thousands across Europe.

AND, remember, Europe has NO earthquake building codes, so brick buildings will topple like houses of cards.

One major Nottingham fault line, and it's a big one too!! almost 300 foot "throw", follows the River Trent, then turns and "follows the River Leen north west through where Babbington Colliery used to be.

Clifton Colliery had a drift from just a short distance from pit bottom in the Deep Hard seam, down through the fault and re-entered the Deep Hard seam on the south side of that fault.

There was another large fault about a mile or so south of that fault and at right angles to it, around the south western side of West Bridgford.

I remember the one in the 90s very well, I was sitting on the Settee and all of a sudden I felt movement about me as if I had moved but I knew I hadn't, It was quite a strong sensation and ornaments rattled on the furniture and walls. This was West Midlands. I called my family in Gedling and they had experienced the same thing only stronger, my Brother said some ornaments had fallen of the walls and the lights had shook and flickered. We live about 65/70miles apart so the tremor had covered quite a distance. I can't remember the one in the 50s, I must have been to young to understand, but I have experienced three small ones. It must be terrifying for the poor people who live in the countries that suffer the devastation of the big quakes.

Just re-occurred to me. The dog went to bed around 10:15 then he started kicking up a ruckus barking and carrying on like somebody was trying to break in. He finally settled down just before the quake because I got into bed (he sleeps in our room). They do say animals have a way knowing of such things

Ollerton is currently the "most seismically active" area in the British Isles - 30 earth quakes in 50 days. The residents don't even notice most of them now. These have been put down to mining in the area, at Thoresby.

Try Newstead, Linby, Ollerton, Bentinck, Annesley, Pinxton, Moorgreen, Pye Hill, and a few other pits, it's a wonder the whole of North Notts isn't around four feet lower than it is....

According to the British Geological Survey, the 1950s earthquake was 11 February 1957, 3.43 in the afternoon, in the vicinity of Derby, 13km deep and 5.3 on the Richter scale. I was just turned 8, and off school at the time with one of the usual childhood complaints - it was either chicken pox (which has just recently reared its ugly head in a bout of shingles) or scarlet fever.

There was one a few years ago just before bedtime. I remember hearing an approaching rumble seeded to my hearing as if it was coming from the east. Then it shook the house quite violently.

Quite nice actually .......... I ended up with the wife on me knee, never seen her move so fast.

• Upvote 1

I can vaguely remember the 1950s earthquake but I was very young at the time and couldn't understand what all the excitement was about. We have had quite noticeable tremors since. The last one I remember was around 2008 when I awoke to see my wardrobes moving.

I can vaguely remember the 1950s earthquake but I was very young at the time and couldn't understand what all the excitement was about. We have had quite noticeable tremors since. The last one I remember was around 2008 when I awoke to see my wardrobes moving.

My wife was not pleased to hear that when I woke up to the 2008 earthquake I thought it was only her stomping across the bedroom.

In the 2008 earthquake when the bed started banging from side to side, Tiddles our cat jumped about two feet in the air spiting & hissing like a demon, she then ran downstairs & hid under the table shaking & growling. She wasn't a happy pussy. :)

In 2008 my birds warned me of the coming earthquake by their behaviour. Obviously I didn't know at the time until 5 hours later when it woke me up.I believe they sensed a tremor several hours before the event.

My birds went silent and froze..I grabbed my camera and took some shots...several minutes later I turned more lighting on and took more shots...nothing had moved...just the slightest movement of their heads....this lasted for around 6/7 minutes then they suddenly all came back to life...I've never known birds freeze like this for such a long time...the later earthquake convinced me there was a link.

It's hard to believe there is a gap of several minutes between these photos.Several more I took show the same reaction.

20hpkbn.jpg1zlu8tf.jpg

• 11 months later...