Hi everyone. Just found this site and think its brilliant. I lived in Carlton and Netherfield as a child during the seventies and eighties and you may have guessed I lived at the blacks head in Carlton for a while. I went to westdale lane infants and then to Haddon primary when they built it followed by Frank Wheldon

• Upvote 1

Welcome BHB, I'm a relevantly new member to this site myself, but have always found everyone here very kind and helpful.

Your area was an unknown land to me as a youngster, however there are plenty on here who will know all about it.

Smiffy

Welcome Blacks Head Boy:)

Lived opposite you on Marhill Road 1975 - mid 1990's.

Occasionally went into the Blacks Head.

Passed there recently and Noticed the new Politically correct pub sign (a horse)

Welcome BHB,

I hope you enjoy yourself on Nottstalgia. I am a Gedling Gal, but left in the 1960s. I have called in the Blacks Head many times in the past for a Bitter and Lime, doing the local "Pub Crawl" ending up at the Tavern or Grey Goose, Many years ago it was my Dads favorite haunt as well, he used the Blacks Head whenever he came home on leave, from the Navy. Anyway have fun and be prepared to get addicted to Nottstalgia.

Welcome to Nottstalgia BHB. I spent a few years in Netherfield in the 50's before moving to Arnold, then was at Carlton-le-Willows in the 60's.

Hi B.H.B. welcome ! Another ex Westdale infants pupil here , though 20 years before you ! If you have any photos from Westdale it does have it's own thread in the "other"schools section .

Welcome BHB from sunny oz !

Another memory rises with the mention of Marhill road, my mate used to go to a small mechanical workshop up there to get his Jag repaired/serviced.

Think it was called Kens maybe, was ran by the owner Ken, short chap with horn rimmed glasses, from his shed at the back of his terraced house, weird setup but he certainly knew his Jaguar's !

Ken Marriott's Garage on Marhill Road for many years, there when I bought my first house in 1975.

One of the mechanics there for many years was Albert Walker. Was in fact quite a large premises at the

rear of the house.

Ken has gone? Now Brookes Garage. I have a feeling that his also been Marhill Service Centre, now at Gunthorpe.

Mick2me

That's the one, Ken Marriot, he was a nice bloke, I met him a few times when I was dropping off or picking up my mate, when his ageing "S" type jag needed surgery of service.

It amazed me the work he did in that rear shed/garage and often he would have a jag v8 engine stripped completely down in pieces.

My old mate is still a jag man and last time I saw him, he had a mark 10, an E type and another S type ripe for renovation in his barn behind his cottage he now lives in.

Mick #15. Wonder if that was the same Albert Walker I knew in the Sherwood Cycling Club. He was a real tall guy. Heard later he emigrated to Canada, but I lost track of him.

Albert was tall, bald, and would be middle aged in mid 70s.

Later worked as a Driver for Notts Police. Lived at WB near ASDA.