Now you can live in the former big Co-op

One was a dentist,and if that shop is on the corner of Fulforth st,that was a Farrands off licence.

I don't think I'd want to live there, even if I could afford it. It looks as though when they were built, they didn't have back gardens going through to Huntingdon Street; instead there were more, smaller houses. This is the1899 OS.

fulforth.jpg

Cliff ton, the map you posted shows the location of the properties, but it is the row of houses above it, they run between the 2 small streets.

You're right ! I was in that area this morning and realised I'd highlighted the wrong block. This is the correct one.

fulforth1.jpg

I saw them from the back on Huntingdon Street, and I was probably driving past when you took your photos earlier today.

Many moons ago, when I was a kid, a girl who used to live next door to me, moved to one of these houses. Her mum always had housekeeper jobs, and she was housekeeper to the doctor who had a surgery in one of these houses. I used to visit and there was a nice back garden in those days, grass and all. Looks like it's all hard-standing now at the back.

When we lived on Vicarage St our Doctor's surgery was in one of these buildings. His surname was Locke if I remember rightly.

Over the years they were taken over by various small businesses & agencies, who seemed to concentrate their efforts on keeping the Mansfield Rd frontages well maintained while ignoring the Huntingdon St side. The new extensions shown in the above photos are a big improvement on what was becoming a bit of an eyesore. Still, can't imagine I'd want to live in them, heavy traffic front & rear all day. Not far to stagger back from The Poacher though!