Tick season is here once more, those of us who know how itchy a bite is after removing a tick will like this tip I found.

Once a tick has "bitten" the body usually breaks off and leaves the head buried in the skin when the insect is pulled off. The bite area then itches like crazy for several days with a risk of infection.

DON'T use hot objects on the tick, it will squirt crap into you!! It contains toxins that could make you ill!!

Instead, get a piece of paper towel, pour a copious amount of dish washing liquid onto it and apply to the tick, hold it there for several minutes, the tick will release itself, wipe it off and dispose of it.

No itch, no infection and works every time.

• Upvote 1

We had one on our cat.

Removed by Brandy on cotton wool placed over the tick.

After a short time it releases its grip.

• Upvote 1

Mick. using alcohol does the same thing as heat...

A late dog we had, the chickens used to pick ticks off him...

Try the washing up liquid trick, works and works safely, the trick is not to "shock" the tick. I think it blocks the ticks pores and it cannot "breathe".

What's Nike tick??

That leaves me out then Rob, cheapest footwear I can find bar work boots.

• Upvote 1

We used methylated spirits on cotton wool to suffocate the tick on our dog's ear. Lost it's grip and came clean out. Interesting though Ayeupmeducks, it's easier to find washing-up liquid than meths. Years ago we were on a mini Safari in South Africa and then arrived at a very nice 5 star hotel in Jo'burg. I was so hot and sweaty so I pulled my t shirt off as soon as we got into our room and a tick was inside my shirt. Thank goodness it had never attached itself to me, even though several hours had passed.

Thanks, will remember that tip.

When we first arrived in Oz, life was a bit chaotic as you can imagine, I was working 7 days and my wife was getting used to allthe new things in her daily life.

One evening she said, "will you have a look at this mole on ******'s neck as It looks like a nasty new mole " (our youngest daughter)

A few days later she mentioned it again, but the daughter was in bed so I said leave it till tomorrow and I'll check it out.

Anyway a few more days later and seeing this elastoplast on my daughters neck reminded me to have a look there and then, as I pulled the plaster off I saw this big black thin move its legs ! and realised it was a tick.

By now it was so firmly embedded it was impossible to remove, we tried all the usual things like alcohol etc.

A trip to the doctors and it took him several minutes to get out ! anyway all done but she then developed a horrible infection at the site which even now is clearly visible (the scar).

She is now paranoid about ticks.

You'll find if you do a search that Docs, Nurses and vets say DON'T use alcohol, Meths is mostly alcohol. The tip I posted is from a nurse. Alcohol and heat make the tick inject toxins into the body. Some of the toxins are lethal to humans, including all the many diseases some ticks carry, which vary country to country.

One international disease some ticks carry Lyme disease, take it from me, you don't want to contract that!! It nearly killed me, very nasty!! And there is no known medical cure either, dispite what the medical profession will tell you.

Yeah, I think you'd better....LOL