A question about maps

I was thinking the other day of my Grandfather building a greenhouse for my Dad in the early fifties...trolling through a maps site I had a look on the 1955 version of that area...Sure enough there was the greenhouse marked in solid black.

But how did they know?...I know for a fact the old man wouldn't bother with planning on something like a greenhouse..it was built at the rear of the garage so couldn't be seen from the road...So how did they know?...A bloke walking the streets with a clipboard?...No satellites in those days.

Anybody know?

10ynjep.jpg

I suspect that a chap walking around with a clip board may be part of it, but they did have aerial photo capability in those days, and I suspect the OS would routinely have new photos taken of an area, then redraw maps with any changes. In areas that were changing fairly quickly, they would probably commission pictures more often. Large frame B&W photos from that era could be very detailed!

I was going to suggest aerial photography which may partly the answer for your original example, but then I realised that a lot of stuff on Old Maps is pre-aircraft.

This is Hungerhill Road allotments 1911 (not too long after the Wright brothers had made the first flight) and earlier versions also have a similar degree of detail. I can understand a man with a clipboard doing it for houses, but would he really have trudged his way so meticulously round an allotment area this size ?

garden.jpg

Standard cartography. I cannot recognise if that is OS but the font on "Hungerhill Gardens" seems to suggest so. OS was and remains, the most accurate survey going. They were government funded but got resources from Church of England, Land Registry and all sorts. They had to make accurate maps to define land boundaries. One of the main influences was the Land Registration Act 1925.