Moz,

Your photo of the children and the Major Oak must be how most of us Nottstalgians remember it, on our visits to Edwinstowe all of those years ago. To any one who has never seen the real thing, you only have to look at the three children sitting on the Tree Trunk in your photo, to realise just how big the Tree was. I'm sure we used to scramble inside!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am an ex forester and for me the best thing they can do is, 1: collect the acorns and grow a replacement, and 2: while they are waiting for them to grow, cut off the branches and pollard it, it will

Sorry, I've been out of the loop for a couple of weeks, reading through this, I was going to bring this book to Basfordred's attention, in this WW1 anniversary year I would suggest it as 'THE' must re

Thought this was interesting. New Sherwood Hello, my name is John Palmer and I live in Dorset, England. When I was a boy I was taken to see the Major Oak and have loved the great tree ever since. In

I bet you did, Carni, because I did too. All kids loved to do that. I remember the floor had been concreted. They always said that the tree would hold 22 people, a bit of a squash if that was true. Rumour had it that Robin Hood hid in there, as a kid I believed it.

Don't spoil it for us Bilboro-lad! Wherever I've been in the World, if someone asks me where I come from and I say 'Nottingham', folk will always say 'Ah, Robin Hood' ....... Often followed by 'Nottingham Forest and Brian Clough'

• Upvote 4

Who cares if it's make believe.... Lots of things are......It's harmless and what about Tintagel and Merlin? It all adds to our history and tourism, true or not!

• Upvote 3

It was King Charles who hid in the Major Oak, not Robin Hood. Just saying hellothere

Robin of Loxley did exist, just not as romantically as he is portrayed.

Cos Sherwood Forest stretched into Yorkshire and I think his family actually came from Yorkshire.

Why is the Robin Hood airport in Doncaster then while we get East Mids.

East Midlands Airport is in Leicestershire and Yorkshire has always tried to claim our Robin, but we have Nottingham Castle and a Sheriff.

#33 lol Darkazana

We live near Boscobel House and the story is that King Charles11 hid in the Royal Oak Tree overnight in 1651 after the Battle of Worcester. Of course I know all this, without looking it up! Honestly yada Perhaps him and Robin had a thing for hiding up trees! :biggrin:

• Upvote 3

Sherwood Forest stretched way into South Yorks. I couldn't care less where he was born, Nottingham is where he made his name..

He wes "Robin of Sherwood" not Robin of Nottingham .

Jesus was born in a stable, but it doesn't make him a friggin' horse .

• Upvote 1

King Charles made it to Nottingham and raised his standard on Standard Hill so got further than Southwell.

• Upvote 1

As with all Myths.....little bits of truth are used from here and there..then cobbled together to form a new story, which is usually the one that gets passed on.

From what I read, "Robin Hood" was a legend made up of several characters spread over a couple of century's, some of the "roots" appear to have come from South west Yourkshire and others from North Notts...

There are a couple of sites where the owners traced many of the stories back to fictitious stories, some to actual people, but most of the characters were unsaviory thieves and murderers embellished by ballad singers of the times..

As for someone who steals from the rich and gives to the poor....give me a break.....LOL Only a lunatic would do that....

JC was born in Bethlehem, the Bible tells you that, but there is no mention of "Three Wise Men"...And as it was tax time, his birth has been placed sometime in late Autumn..

No-one knows where Jesus was born.

I've been in a church in Bethlehem that was built on the site of the stable where Jesus was said to have been born. I believed the tour guide ......... :biggrin:

• Upvote 4