What a dilemma for England football fans.....Two traditional enemies in the final. :rotfl:

Has anybody noticed how European in appearance the Argentinian players look in comparison to all the other South American countries players, these seem to be the expected mix of Indians, Black and Latins although it's not so marked in Brazil and Uruguay. I seem to remember during the footage of the Falklands War many of the poor conscripts tended to be of South American Native Indian origin whereas the officers were more European in appearance. Would this be down to the fact that they're situated on the East coast giving more access for an influx of European settlers which presumably were richer and formed the nucleus for the middle classes. Just an observation without looking anything up on Triki Wiki.

European migration to Argentina is second only to the USA in particular from Germany Italy and France. You are right to have noticed that European heritage is far more prevalent there than in other South American countries.

ive noticed too firbeck,again without looking up on 'wiki',i read somewhere that theres a large population of Italians in Argentina, and many Germans went there after the war.

There was large scale immigration way before that too. Throughout Latin America dark skin is a characteristic more common amongst the poor. European heritage tends to be prized and is more prevalant among the middle and upper classes so the comment about officers and men is accurate. Latin America was my field of study at uni.

There was large scale immigration way before that too. Throughout Latin America dark skin is a characteristic more common amongst the poor. European heritage tends to be prized and is more prevalant among the middle and upper classes so the comment about officers and men is accurate. Latin America was my field of study at uni.

YOU can help me then DJB,I read somewhere that there is a Welsh speaking settlement high up in the Andes,?

Patagonian Welsh is a feature in Southern Argentina rather than the Andes. A large number of Welsh migrated there in the mid 19th century worried that their culture and language were being wiped out. The language has developed into a dialect spoken by 10s of thousands.

• Upvote 1

I did have a look on Wiki which states that the number of people of European descent could be between 82.9 and 97%, seems a bit high to me, what do you think DJB.

The Germans clearly had a presence before WW2, let's face it, the government were Fascist and the Nazis supplied them with a lot of military equipment. Despite operating in the area it was unlikely that the Graf Spee would have sunk any Argentine ships. No doubt it became a bolt hole for Nazis after the war because of the large German population and it was unlikely that Peron would have hunted them down. Ooops, going off track a bit here.

There was a huge migration of Europeans in the 1840s',due to various wars in Europe.

Re #1,I have always thought France to be the'traditional enemy'of England.

We have a friend who is Argentinian,of German immigrant stock. I will have to call him to see who he's rooting for!

Re #1,I have always thought France to be the'traditional enemy'of England.

Can you think of any country that isn't a former enemy of England, Portugal was always supposed to be our traditional 'friend' but it didn't stop them from allowing U-boats to provision from supply ships in their ports did it.

Sir Humphrey Appleby: Minister, Britain has had the same foreign policy objective for at least the last 500 years: to create a disunited Europe. In that cause we have fought with the Dutch against the Spanish, with the Germans against the French, with the French and Italians against the Germans, and with the French against the Germans and Italians. Divide and rule, you see. Why should we change now, when it's worked so well?

I lived for two years in the Falklands and have spent three months in Argentina. The Argies are no different to anyone else really. There is a huge Italian influence throughout and in the south plenty of Welsh language spoken. I favour the Argies over the Fatherland.

So come on then, who you want to lift the trophy tonight ?, i want Argentina to win it, purely because they are the underdogs.

We may not be able to find anyone outstanding in our soccer, cricket, rugby, cycling teams this year but there's still the Commonwealth Games coming up. Who knows, a new star may be born!