There was a major quake back in the middles ages that caused extensive damage in Germany, Austria, and across western Europe, I wonder if there are any reports of it in UK records??

There is a major fault line, and it hasn't moved in centuries, estimates are, if it happens today on the scale estimated back then, millions would perish, and major parts of most of the large cities near the fault would be devastated.

That fault cuts across the UK Midlands.

There was a very large tremor back in the 50's, my bedroom windows rattled, the house shook and even my bed moved. It woke everyone up and the immediate thoughts of my old man was that it was something to do with subsidence at Wollaton Colliery. It was all over the national news the next day and experts claimed the source was Charnwood Forest, a relatively new granitic outcrop still 'settling down'.

A crack opened up in our garden at Aspley in the 50s and the bottom couldn't be touched with a clothes line prop. After looking into it, it was decided it was due to subsidence.from the pits.

C1950 I remember being in the playground at Berridge an feeling the ground move and seeing the school building sway a bit.

The 1950's business was in the early hours of the morning, we ended up downstairs with cups of tea at 2:00am while 'keen type' father carried out a damage assessment, non needed.

The 1950's business was in the early hours of the morning, we ended up downstairs with cups of tea at 2:00am while 'keen type' father carried out a damage assessment, non needed.

Probably an aftershock at school but definately remember that.

My ex SIL lives in Crete & earthquakes of this magnitude happen regularly & nobody bothers

And even quakes of 6.3 on the Richter scale cause little or no damage SO.................NO NEWS.

Never felt a thing.

Firbeck, I remember you telling me once that a tree fell on your house in Wollaton. It wasn't anything to do with that 50s earthquake was it?

• Upvote 1

No way, we didn't have any big trees near us. The story may relate to a big storm we had in the early 60's when a strong wind caused lot's of banging and crashing in the roof during the early hours. Mr T senior ordered us all out the house to safety on the lawn and called the fire brigade to 'Make the roof safe'.My brother thought he was over reacting ( as usual ). The old man insisted the fire brigade would install a tarpaulin to contain the tiles and prevent the rain getting in. With much blaring of sirens a fire engine arrived, they put up a ladder and assessed it was nothing more than a few hip tiles gone astray, which didn't satisfy the old man. We ended up with a load of firemen having tea and breakfast in our tiny house prepared by my embarrassed mother, while father ranted and raved outside. In the end the roof was fixed very cheaply by Mr Pride, our friendly local builder, the old man received a massive bill from the fire brigade for a pointless turn out, my brother and I had to hide in his bedroom as we couldn't stop laughing about it all.

My home town of Hucknall became famous throughout the world for a day. I looked at news sites from around the world & the Hucknall earthquake got a mention on most of them. (farthest I could find was the New Zealand Herald) I'm so proud of our "local friendly neighbourhood earthquake' for putting us on the world stage, even though I was in Derbyshire at the time & missed all the fun..