Glad I'm not 18 again !

How is the government telling you how to run your life in this issue?

Not specifically this issue but it's almost a daily thing about drinking, how many units, how many calories, how bad it is for you.

I disagree that the problem of drunks and the trouble that's caused is insoluble. Anyone who is drunk and disorderly should be hit with a big fine, say £300. For a second offence it will be £600 and a third £1,000. I doubt many people would be getting the second fine because they'd start behaving themselves. Some of you will think this is a silly idea but it's the only way to cut it out. We have to start somewhere. I also think that anyone who has to go to hospital through alcohol related problems should be made to pay.

I wouldn't disagree with that but most city centres would require a police presence the size of an army every weekend to enforce it and police numbers are being cut to the bone right now.

But weren't 'On the Spot Fines' introduced a few years ago, whatever happened to them?

The politicians constantly go on about the problem but the will isn't there to deal with it - nor the resources.

• Upvote 1

But weren't 'On the Spot Fines' introduced a few years ago, whatever happened to them?

The politicians constantly go on about the problem but the will isn't there to deal with it - nor the resources.

Another Blair idea..."March them to a cashpoint"...pillock!! Half this stuff wouldn't be a problem if said dickhead hadn't introduced all hours boozing..."So folks can enjoy a drink after visiting the theatre" And to think we let him run the damned country.

• Upvote 3

Another Blair idea..."March them to a cashpoint"...pillock!! Half this stuff wouldn't be a problem if said dickhead hadn't introduced all hours boozing..."So folks can enjoy a drink after visiting the theatre" And to think we let him run the damned country.

To be fair, I don't remember it being any better years ago. It's not 4 or 6 o'clock licenses that are the problem, it's quite simply the booze culture. I suspect if we went back to 11 o'clock and no late clubs the problems would simply be condensed into one awful hour of mayhem at closiing time. That's one of the arguments made in favour of staggered closing in the city centre, it spreads the numbers needing taxis ( one of the biggest causes of fights after leaving bars) and lowers the numbers wandering the streets at any one time.

They've recently introduced breatherlysers in some cities so that door staff can stop people who are drunk entering the premises. In Liverpool they're set at twice the drink drive limit which is quite low for a night out. What will happen, of course, is that people will get into their last destination under the limit then go well over it before staggering out. Somehow we need to stop people getting into such a state but it's not in the interests of bars to sell less. Vertical drinking seems to be a major contributor to the problem.

• Upvote 2

I used to start out vertical DJ, but as the night wore on, I'd sag slightly then become horizontal.

Not every night may I add. Fridays and Saturdays only.

I used to start out vertical DJ, but as the night wore on, I'd sag slightly then become horizontal.

Not every night may I add. Fridays and Saturdays only.

I can't stand part-timers.

On a serious note, standing holding your drink encourages faster drinking. Sitting down with your drink on the table massively reduces the amount drunk in an evening generally. We really need to reassess the design of bars allowed to open in city centres.

I'm afraid it's space DJ. The bars can cram more in if there are few or no tables.

I see it that a pub or a club will empty a customer's pocket then when he's skint and a problem they toss them into the street to leave the rest of society to deal with,and none drinkers often take the consequences .licensees should behave more responsibly and when they fail to do so the law should hit them hard.

I see it that a pub or a club will empty a customer's pocket then when he's skint and a problem they toss them into the street to leave the rest of society to deal with,and none drinkers often take the consequences .licensees should behave more responsibly and when they fail to do so the law should hit them hard.

Its not totally that simple. How many times have you bought a round. Ok maybe none (joke) but when you go to the bar, how does the bartender know that the. other 3 pints are for drunks who will go berserk in the taxi queue?

Ill have you know I bought a round in at 19,25 pm on August the 17th 1971 alright I did make them pay

me back at 19,26pm 17th of August 1971,but at least I did buy a round once,you have no need to admire my generosity.

• Upvote 1

We weren't Andy, believe me !

• Upvote 1

Ill have you know I bought a round in at 19,25 pm on August the 17th 1971 alright I did make them pay

me back at 19,26pm 17th of August 1971,but at least I did buy a round once,you have no need to admire my generosity.

Buying your wife a drink is not, strictly speaking, a round.

• Upvote 2

Especially as it was half of mild !

• Upvote 1

Look I have demonstrated my generosity ,I am a modest man but you are forcing me to yet further show my generosity ,all right I lent her the money to buy me and her a drink at reasonable interest rate

and what's more I paid half of the wedding for her birthday Christmas and Easter present,and I know you must think my generosity has no bounds and iust admit I went to far ,so I asked her to pay my half of the wedding because I did not want her to feel guilty about me paying half,see considerate as well,I'm a fool to myself.

• Upvote 3

I remember when pubs shut at 10 o'clock (boy that was a long time ago) and it was an offence to serve anyone who'd had to much to drink, landlords were frightened of losing their licence, what happened to that law?

• 2 weeks later...

I remember when i lived in Eastwood around 1985, Notts pubs closed at half ten on a Friday and Saturday but Derbyshire was open till eleven; there was always a mad dash from the Midland Hotel and the Lord Nelson at last orders, so your could get a couple in down in Langley Mill.

Not closing but opening times.

There is a term used by some people(mainly men) who have lived in Loughborough for many years(mainly born & bred)of a "Moo Cow Monday" This was when the Golden Fleece would open on a Monday on a cattle market day at 5 am.

The term was said of people who did not turn up for work on these days(sick??? ;))