In the unemployed league !

Can there really be 30% of families without a person in employment ?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2823881/Nottingham-overtakes-Liverpool-Glasgow-Britain-s-unemployment-capital.html

I bet they're all in Bestwood !

• Upvote 1

Well if you are talking of not working , rather than unemployed . On our road of about 26 houses, only 4 have anyone going out to work . The rest of us are all old codgers !

Well I live in a street of 15 houses. I reckon 3 people are actually employed by an employer. Two of those are in one house. Four are self employed including me and the rest are either old codgers or layabouts.

Well if you are talking of not working , rather than unemployed . On our road of about 26 houses, only 4 have anyone going out to work . The rest of us are all old codgers !

I'm an old codger too :)

I have no way of knowing how many on my road are unemployed, but my grandkids tell me a lot of their mates live in houses where no-one works. Don't ask me how they know.

What I can't understand is why are there young people in housing estates driving around in top of the range cars when they are always around? (ie never at work).

• Upvote 1

Most of the occupants of the 30 houses on our street are retired - but it is called Old road!

Daft thing is that although 76 I could still go to work; heavy work included. Luck I suppose.

My generation were so lucky. Got first job applied for. Then when redundant (ROF) applied for 2 jobs and was offered both. After 4 years applied for another job and got it. Then applied for another and got it. It was so easy to get a decent job. Offered 2 jobs without applying! My grandkids have found it a lot more difficult and they are smart and have good work ethics. Different era completely.

• Upvote 3

Re #17. I often have the grave misfortune to drive through Broxtowe and Strelley, and frequently walk through Bestwood.

How in Gods name can folk in their 20's & 30's afford Range Rovers, Audis, BMW's and brand new VW's, Vauxhalls and Lexus.

They are breaking the law and simultaneously taking the p1ss. They park all over tha pavements, have little driving etiquette and totally disregard the speed limits. Their personalised number plates reflect their activities.

TH13VES, KL11LAB and DRU65. If an old beggar like me can identify them, then why the hell can't the ultra lethargic police force.

• Upvote 3

Personalised Rego plates like that are not allowed in this State, nor are any that suggest similar activities or offensive or obscene words

Years ago there was a Cortina with OBO 110 X. That was when you were stuck with it.

You are right about jobs. In the 60s there were thousands of vacancies for overlockers, lockstitch machinists, lace trade, warehousemen. Then there was Raleigh, Players and Boots.

• Upvote 2