Princess Anne in Nottingham in 1978

I came across this by chance.

http://www.macearchive.org/Archive/Title/atv-today-07061978-princess-anne-visits-nottingham/MediaEntry/28934.html

The biggest difference between then and now is the civic limousine. Back in the 1970s the Lord Mayor and Sheriff enjoyed the exclusive use of a brace of RR Phantom Vs - as preferred by the likes of the Shah of Iran, sundry billionaires and rock megastars.

Nowadays our dignitaries have to squeeze their robes and regalia into bottom of the range Jags' and even those are under threat - to be replaced by a Kangaroo Card and unlimited use of a city bicycle.

• Upvote 1

Nowadays our dignitaries have to squeeze their robes and regalia into bottom of the range Jags' and even those are under threat - to be replaced by a Kangaroo Card and unlimited use of a city bicycle.

If it was a tandem, they could still have someone to pedal it, and they could just sit on the back to maintain their dignity.

One of the Rollers had the registration number 1 ANN or ANN 1, the reg was given to the ms Windsor as a wedding present when she married Armstrong-Jones. She sold it.

She married Mark Phillips not Armstrong -Jones...........Princess Margaret married him.............

I like Anne, but then, some folk think I've got weird tastes anyway !!!!

But if we did not have the Royals, who else would take their place ?

• Upvote 1

Bliar, Brown, Harman, Jowell etc. pass me the gun mother !!!!

• Upvote 2

Miliband, how on earth can we have a ruler who looks like a cross between a camel and a sea lion.

And he has the nerve to think the Royas are inbred. What a trunk.

• Upvote 1

I'll never forget in the 1970s when Princess Anne came to W-ton to open the New Cross Maternity Wing. All the Palaver and money spent, just for decoration. Flowers being planted, chosen because they were already flowering. Railings being painted. Roads being swept. And Anne was driven straight past all of these things, and didn't even see them. I worked in another Hospital in W-ton so was given the opportunity to be on the Guard of Honour. We had to stand waiting for nearly two hours without water or opportunity to use the toilets, (we could use them but couldn't go back to our place).

Carole Middleton wouldn't allow that.......she who rules must be obeyed...........

I am not with you here ..........What does Carole Middleton rule ?..........I thought Prince Philip was the dictator.....

I'm afraid you're for the Bl00dy Tower when she gets in.

Treachery like that will not be tolerated !!

Carole Middleton as Queen Mother, I do not think so, Diana's mother was almost unheard of..............They are made to know their place, or it's the tower for them.......