So What Do They Teach 'Em?

Not only tables but I knew where most countries were in the world, their capital cities and quite a few of their currencies. At secondary school we were taught how to speak correct English, how to spell, how to do basic maths, algebra, trigonometry, British history as well as ancient history. We did not get brainwashed with political propaganda.

• Upvote 6

Same goes with the 14 & 16 times tables as there are no pounds & ounces. ;)

As a matter of interest without a calculator(no cheating now) how many inches in a mile?

I think all the old measurements wonderful and I still work in some of them.

and using a calculator in the old money etc is non too easy.(nothing is base ten)

P.S. my mother(85) still writes cheques out in £.s.d

When I was in primary school they gave everyone a Vimto book.

It had all sorts of facts and figures in it, including a times table chart.

Don't know about the UK but over here it seems to be about, "global warming". Political correctness, how its O-k to have two mummies or daddies. Apparently most of 'em couldn't pass the test on America and its government which is given to would be citizens.

Old or new values and units. Would it matter as long as long as people were taught to think and use the brain. Everything these days seems to be intended to create short cuts, including inter-personal relationships. Why talk when you can text!

And don't forget "common core" Dave, where common sense is thrown out the window.

The more you can dumb down a population the easier they are to control. It is most important not to teach any kind of critical thinking we would not want them to start questioning their BETTERS would we? And while your're at it give 'em plenty of mindless television and movies, the cult of celebrity, and plenty of junk food and liquor, along with a few drugs. Then sit back and enjoy society as it falls apart.

• Upvote 2

When we went decimal, I didn't see anyone replacing all the British bricks with metric ones on all the old houses. As long as we have old buildings we need to be able to work out the old non-metric measurements. It's easier than converting to tiny portions of millimetres.