Grave robbing still around

It was my mums wish to have her ashes put with my dads in a grave at Wilford Hill so I need to dig a hole about 1 foot square and 15 inches deep, in soft ground. The Nottingham City Council want £131.00 to do this. This is their charge to dig the hole. I guess no more than 10 minutes. I think this is nothing short of robbery. I have no choice. They will not allow anyone else to do it. Mind you it may take one to dig and 3 to watch! and if the ashes came from someone who lived in the County area rather than the City it cost about £10 more. Why? It is a family grave that we own.

• Upvote 5

I went to the cemetary today, had some grave business to attend too..........

• Upvote 2

We have brought a plot and a stone for our daughter at Carlton Cemetery it is a heavy price to pay for something about 20inches square.

its been 7 years now and its nice to have some way of remembering. we try to get over once a month from lincs. the family live that way so she's never short of flowers.

• Upvote 7

I know cremation is probably the way forward but when I recently returned to Nottm, as I mentioned in an earlier thread, I went to Carlton cemetery for a very pleasant sunny Sunday morning visiting my mother in laws, great aunts and a few other members of my families graves.

Seeing the plots, even though some were in very poor condition gave me a feeling of closeness to the family members there somehow.

Whereas my mum,dad and brother have their ashes scattered in the garden of rest at Wilford Hill, even when I go there it is just not the same feeling as attending the actual grave.

Same with my paternal grandparents at Bulwell cemetary when I visited there.

I'm not a religious person or believe in the great afterlife, but did feel something when I was at the actual grave sites.

• Upvote 4

I think folk are exploited at a vulnerable time.

Still I am sure we wouldn't want to see rich b***ards not get richer that is what we are here for.

When we have departed we can no longer contribute to their incessant need for more........so our families have to do it for us.

• Upvote 2

My ex was cremated a few weeks ago, our daughters collected his ashes last weekend and put some with his favourite uncle, some with his mum and dad, all of whom are buried at Wilford Hill and the rest of him went down the Trent from Wilford where he used to play as a child with his sister. (His wish was to return to the sea that he loved). I don't think they paid anyone for this they just did it themselves.

Appropriately as he floated off on his voyage a brandy bottle came down the Trent after him....he was noted for his liking of brandy. His way of saying goodbye to the girls perhaps and letting them know he was ok? We all like to think so.

• Upvote 10

My uncle died & the family wanted his ashes interned in the family plot at Bulwell. This theiving, robbing city council wanted an extortionate amout to dig a small hole to do this.

The solution is one person with a small shovel & a couple of "Lookouts".

Sorted (cheaper too) :jumping::hand:

• Upvote 8

So now we know. Robin Hood taught them their trade. I like your idea Catfan. I know two wrongs don't make a right, but treat Nottingham City Council with the same contempt that they treat us.

• Upvote 2

I used to drive past forest road cemetary it always reminded me of a gigantic chess set. some of those gravestones today would cost a fortune.

I think it's outrageous the way people are treated after the death of their loved ones. It's a complete rip-off by everyone connected with the funeral business. Some of the posts I've just read make me livid. £131 to dig a small hole to put a wifes ashes next to her husbands grave, £400 to have a grave opened so a man and wife could be together, the City Council wanting an extortionate amount to dig a small hole to intern an uncles ashes and undertakers charging £85 to collect the ashes from the crematorium. siddha got it right when he stated that people are exploited at a vulnerable time. The other day I drove by A.W. Lymns, The Family Funeral Service. In their showroom was a row of Rolls Royces, all with a 1 number plate. I've just looked on their webpage and they boast of having 39 Rolls Royce and Bentley cars, most of them having a 1 number plate. These number plates can fetch thousands of pounds each so you can imagine the value of the cars and number plates. It just shows the vast profit that these people make and they can do this because the general public all want to give their loved ones 'a good send off ' and will pay what it costs.

• Upvote 3

Not always relatives want to send a deceased relative with a good send off Michael.

Sadly a lot of relatives can't afford to do this but are at a most vulnerable time & reluctantly pay these charges.

Local councils have seen the undertakers grabbing ways & merely jumped on the bandwagon.

Florists also get in on the act too with thier over inflated prices.

If you want to see where the money is made then take a look at the NEP obituary charges.

I think it is about time all the costs within the funeral industry were investigated.

• Upvote 2

I think graves should have been set out in a similar fasion to war graves so that grass cutting could be carried out with mowers and stem the use of the dreaded strimmer.