This photo was taken in Grainger Street, where I lived. The road at the top of the photo is Meadow Lane and you can see the company called

Railway & General. I've looked on the Internet for any info on it but can't find anything. Does anyone know anything about this company?

Grainger%20Street._zpslkldwgg7.jpg

• Upvote 6

Bubblewrap, you only have to do a search with Google re Railway and General and get some info on what they did. Click on the pictures and get more info.....

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Railway_and_General_Engineering_Co

• Upvote 1

In 1916 a news article mentions death of a Lorenso W Crosta aged 53 who had been managing director of the above and held patents for improved designs of tramway points .

If you google that name it also comes up with someone of that name owning a looking-glass manufacturer on Bridlesmith Gate in the 1850s . Must have been his dad !

Also the factory produced 250,000 tons of castings for the new Players factory in Radford Blvd in the 1930s , will post link to advert later .

• Upvote 1

Advert for Railway and General from the 1930s and a part of the article in right hand column about opening of the Players factory in the 30s. Oops looks like I over egged the steel used , should have been 2500 tons !

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7735/17720270371_14059a9b62_b.jpg

• Upvote 1

It was one o' clock in the morning and I was ready for bed. I'd read something on Nottstalgia that got me thinking about Railway & General and I thought I'd go on the Internet for any info. Because I was feeling tired I just entered 'Railway & General' in the Google search and got nothing. I should have added the 'Engineering Company' bit and found the info that you've given me. It's taught me a lesson and thanks to you all for your posts. :)

Access to the R & G was by a single line entrance off the goods loop from Meadow Lane S. Box to London Rd. who controlled these points and also movements into Eastcroft & the Cattle Mkt. One engine & crew serviced several similar spots on a daily basis on what was a 'soft' day job, very handy if evening hospital visits were required for instance or a 'new' baby was due!

The map is from pre war as the carriage sidings shed shown was burnt down in the Nottm. blitz

• Upvote 1

This is what it looks like now, Albert. It's where the gates were on my photo. Can you remember the steps leading up to the Railway & General's office's. They were the meeting point for all the local kids and the prison when we played Relievo. As I'm typing this post the memories of those times are drifting through my mind.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.945392,-1.131589,3a,75y,305.32h,97.17t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sWN81d_TKy73On34ef9IjMA!2e0!6m1!1e1

I remember it well Albert. In its last days it was a trip working hauled by a jocko (08 shunt engine). I was working at the adjacent Nottingham Carriage sidings in the early 80s when the trip working finished. Even the goods line has gone now.

• Upvote 1

Michael I don't know when it happened, but it probably closed because it was committing that crime of manufacturing stuff in the UK.

• Upvote 1

Post #1: Michael, if I recall correctly, Grainger street was next to Brand X Street. So....did you know a girl called Anne Barnes who lived, I think, at 21 Brand St. during the 1960s?

There was a chip shop on the corner, was it Grainger St corner?...and I knew a girl who lived above it called Helen. Can't recall her surname though.

• Upvote 1

Compo (#15), Brand Street was the next one to Grainger Street. I left the area in 1960 and didn't know Ann Barnes who lived at 21 Brand Street. I asked my eldest brother but he couldn't remember her either. The chip shop was in the middle of a row of shops between Grainger Street and Brand Street. My brother and I never knew Helen who lived above the shop. It seems you are refering to a time after we'd left. Typical, isn't it? We leave and the girls start moving in...lol

• Upvote 1
  • 3 months later...

my father worked for railway and general in the forties He was a moulder for cast iron products They made street nameplates manhole covers he did say that he made some lampposts on Trent bridge but I don't know for sure Bill meeowed

• 1 year later...