Thanks CliffTon, that area is totally unrecognisable to me after 40 years. The Thorn factory was on the corner of High Church Street and Beech Avenue, where the bungalows are now. I probably never went down the street in the direction of Northgate ...... I walked to and from work from Sherwood Rise and along Beech Avenue. Then the pubs we frequented at lunchtimes weren't down that direction either, The Elm Tree was on Beech Avenue, I can't remember which road the Palm Tree was on.

Sorry Lizzie with late reply-my mate who worked at Turners bakery did electrical work there- I was at art college and helped him a good few times.very friendly staff. He lived on Albany rd.Funny I thought that area was Sherwood rise? I suppose past Gold & dunne is New basford-the likes of Scotland rd is the old bit? hey catfan were you the forklift guy there- when the new bit was built? Great times in that area and Things takeaway for prawns balls!

No Michael, it was towards the Forest. Seem to remember going to the end of Beech Avenue and turning left, then possibly right.

Just looked at a map and I think it could have been on Gladstone Street.

And now Ian's got me thinking ....

I went in once and my aunt was in there, drunk and flirting with all the men. I was so embarrassed that I had to leave.

Watching a BBC docu last year on Colditz and ww2 escapees. Featured in a caption were some letters posted to UK. I paused the programme and the envelopes were addressed to Scotland Road, Basford!!

• 1 year later...

the palm tree was indeed on Gladstone street it was never very successful they once did some scenes for a film there featuring hywell bennet he had a series on tv as a workshy chap doing battle with the dole office every week cant remember what the film was called but they had a mobile hot dog wagon brought in and filmed some scenes inside the pubĀ  meeowed