To Like or Not To Like

Tompa, I think any forum could seem a bit cliquey at first, where there are long-standing contributers who know each other well, both on and off-site. Just like life really. I'm fairly new and find I don't connect with all members by any means, but overall I find the site a very friendly place. :)

• Upvote 7

Everybody sees things in a slightly different way.

I’m sure the people who are “guilty” don’t mean it or intend it, but it shows how a person can post a message to say something, and then someone who reads it will interpret it with a different meaning. Whatever you say, with whatever meaning, you can guarantee somebody will see it differently to the way you intended.

How many innocent comments can be filed under “I seem to have put my foot in it”.

As well as a “Like” button, maybe we need a “I meant it as a joke, but you’ve taken me seriously” button.

And a "what the hell are you on about" button.

• Upvote 6

I can understand what Tompa is refering to, up to a point. There is a group of us on Nottstalgia who are on nearly every day and we have a lot of banter and a laugh. We also post interesting stuff about Nottingham and respond to everyone else's posts. I don't think we're cliquey, Tompa, far from it. Any newcomer is welcomed by us and always invited to the meet-ups. As you know, Tompa, we have things in common and I've always enjoyed reading your posts and looking at your old photos. I hope I've changed your view regarding being cliquey, Tompa..... but if I haven't then come and join us. :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

I would not call those of us who post regularly 'cliquey'. If we wanted to keep it to ourselves and not let others post messages then we would be. We encourage newbies and the like to take part.

Well said Chulla,.......anyway who would want to be in a clique with me,you and mr Booth. :biggrin:

• Upvote 3

Tompa: I'm a newbie..I never shut up!! But Fly gave me good advice a while ago now I only gravitate towards subjects I like,and ignore others- I feel a 'connection' with so many on here..takes that homesick feeling away. As my Bulwell mate told me what's posted turns out different to how you would "say " it. Doing this now on the tablet..do I press the tick for a like?? I prefer to tell the person that his or her post was Good.Tompa I liked your post about that old shopkeeper and the fags!!

Oh dear, looks like I have put my foot in it, I didn't mean to upset anybody, I just think that pressing the like button or leaving a comment might encourage those members that are standing in the shadows to come forward and post more or at least feel involved.

But maybe I have got it wrong ?

Anyways thanks for all your " Likes and Comments ". I still think this a fantastic site though.

• Upvote 6

Oh dear, looks like I have put my foot in it, I didn't mean to upset anybody,

That's exactly the point I was making :cool: . You think you've made a genuine, innocent point, and somebody comes along with a different reading of it, and you start to worry !

• Upvote 1

Tompa,you got a 'like' from ciff ton,...........ive even tried 'Blackmail' without getting one from him. lol.

• Upvote 2