mr rob t

rock clubs/pubs

I was a member of the 'Boat Club' on the south bank from 1979-82. Remember seeing Def Leppard supporting Blackfoot there in 1980, and the hoo-har that ensued when it was revealed that the Leppard drummer Rik Allen was only 15 years old. My last visit as a member was to see Robert Plant (shortly after Led Zeppelin disbanded) with his then band The Honeydrippers. If I recall correctly, the resident DJ was a chap known as 'Metal Mickey' - who also had a rock residency at a pub on Beckhampton Road in Bestwood estate (the name of the pub escapes me), and also he spun his decks at the Old Grey Goose in Gedling. Great times!

Could be the Cavalier

Rog

it's the only pub I know in that area

I went to all the 'IN' places in the 60's and early 70's just after I married, can remember the Boat Clubs very well, The Grey Goose at Gedling and many, many, more, saw all the latest bands and knew a lot of the members personally back then.........'Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end'.........Everything to me, seemed to change overnight in the mid 70's or maybe that is when I started to grow up............Going out after that was not the same..........

When I first sneaked into pubs,'75-'76.The Salutation was a great watering hole if you liked rock and funked of patchouli oil. The trip for the cider and bikes.Goth pubs( 2nd wave) rock pubs were Spread Eagle and Dragon on Chapel Bar.The Grosvenor too had a rock following.. I remember staggering up to my mates house on Albany rd.( gold&dunne) around the corner.The Boat Club was a place I loved and saw so many great bands there.

Hi there 

I've just come across this awsome website as I Googled 'where to go in Nottm for the best 70's/80's Rock gigs' I'm an expat but my hometown will always be Nottingham UK I'm coming over in July this year so was wondering if there was any hangouts I can go to chill out & reminisce all those gud old rock tunes

Hi there 

I was a late 70's /early 80's rock chick remember all those old haunts used to ride me Bonnie 750 there if I was being a gud gal but more often than not was the pissed passenger lol

Many memories, boat club, exchange , morts,, yorker ,sal ,sandpiers suzie and the banchees ,toya lol , warrows (for the lumpy scrumpy ) navagation, rock city,  spread eagle ,hearty good fellow, newshouse, badega , old angel to name a few wasnt keen on the royal children though. Sitting in the square waiting for the exchange to open and the goose fair rally. Best times