Britain's Best Loved Sitcoms

I couldn't stand authoritative figures in sitcoms. Hyacinth Bucket, Timothy Lumsdens mother in Sorry, the Windsor Davis character in It ain't half hot mum. The over officeousness of these bullying people resonates with me to this day.

Bootsie and Snudge "I'll be leaving you now sir!"

The original Sergeant in the Army Game was "Bullimore" played by William Hartnel - Dr Who

I find there's a lot of rubbish sitcoms on the TV but I suppose other people will find some of mine rubbish. The sitcoms that I've watched and enjoyed in the past are: Absolutely Fabulous, Hancocks Half Hour, The Young Ones, Till Death Us Do Part, Fawlty Towers, Benny Hill and Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Good choices Michael. Can't fault it.

Missed most of them after I left in 1971. Saw a few poor American imitations ie. All in the Family. -- Based on 'Til Death us do Part. Insipid in comparison but I suppose they thought the advertisers would not sponser it if they used anyone as blunt as Alf Garnett. There were others too. Can't remember all the names now but for the most part not worth watching. We used to wonder why they couldn't have a few oiginal thoughts of their own rather than just poor imitations. We finally got rid of tv altogether in Canada for a long time. Just not worth watching. Still isn't as far as I'm concerned but my wife has always like it. She can watch it, I don't, apart from the news and that just tends to make me mad. Lol.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the topic DaveN

The previous posts on this thread have brought back many long forgotten programs and I have had great fun watching some of them on You Tube.

Much preferable to the endless dross of reality TV, cooking programs and the mindless violence of US crime shows that gets broadcast on free to air TV here in OZ.

I am not sure where sticoms turn into dramedy but I have to varying degrees enjoyed the following.

The Good Life,To the Manor Born, Are you Being Served? Dad's Army, The Vicar of Dibley

Men Behaving Badly, Phoenix Nights, Black Books, Black Adder, Goodnight Sweetheart

I loved most of the sitcoms and I watch them again and again on utube. There are only a few here and I don't watch them, cant find anything funny about them.

• 5 months later...

Hopefully, we'll get Dinnerladies repeated now.