What do your grandchildren like to do

My grand children love to bake and help me bake. Most of all they love to help at Christmas time to make gingerbread houses. They enjoy icing and decorating with sweets etc. the other day my middle grandson made a cake with his sister, it was so good and light and he was so pleased. A few days later I made the. Same cake and it was a disaster it sank. When I told him he just said" ah you see I'm special" when they come to me they always ask what I've made.

• Upvote 4

image_zpsrvd9t7ju.jpeg

At my daughters restaurant, he wanted to "work" so during the festivities she let him make a dessert. He was as pleased as punch that the star of the evening, a comedian, had eaten one of "his" peaches.

• Upvote 2

I've got 8 grandkids, they like to wipe their sticky hands all over my shirt and scream in my ear, leave toys all over the house so I stand on them. When the ice cream van comes round it costs me a fortune, but I would not change them.

• Upvote 4

Our 2 youngest grandchildren (6 and 4) like to play schools. Mostly, I am the child and they are the teachers. They set 'sums' for me to do, and sometimes they dictate stories which I have to write down. The 6 year old particularly, puts on a 'teacher's voice' when she speaks to me - I now know what her school teachers say and how they say it!!

When we're not playing schools there's 'shops' or 'cafes.' The cafe serves tea and cakes (pretend) and then has a music and dance show we have to watch, complete with hoops and ribbons - she does gymnastics - and streetdance. The 4 year old boy tries to do breakdancing at the same time which does cause some mild arguments and general confusion!

The 'shop' sells anything we can collect from the room we're in - pens, photos, Lego, calculator etc. Everything is priced and we use real money. Again, there are sometimes problems as they both like to be the shopkeeper!

There are so many other things we play.... But I've written enough for now!

• Upvote 2

They are 4 and 18 months - They make lots of noise and mess, scream a lot, my house is mayhem when they call around, I never have any money, sleepless nights as well, but I would not be without them, they are so loving and adorable.......

• Upvote 2

As long as you weren't the nurse catfan!!!

• Upvote 3

Catfan, can't you really remember or is it just selective memory coming into play? I used to play hospitals and nurses with my little GIRLFRIENDS at about that age!

• Upvote 2

My Grandson now 11 doe's not require my service's any more during school holl's. When I did look after him all he wanted to do was to go down to the train station (Midland) and watch the train's going and coming. Now I know this sound's daft but we used to run from platform to platform just to watch the trains arriving and pulling out. He could tell you where every train was going, with my made up town's/city's but the one he liked best of all was from Platform 1/2 as this train always went to London and we always had to count how many coachers it was pulling, it was normally 12/15.

The time came on day when I had to explain to a guard what we were doing, going from platform to platform he thought it was very funny!!! Now my grandson no longer needs my service I can get back to normal what ever that is.

• Upvote 4

Mary, they're not young for long are they ..... that's why I make the most of our time with them, before they are glued to their phones! Does your grandson still like trains?

Mary, I can understand your grandson 's passion for trains, the station was always exciting I used to love it. It was draughty, cold, smelly and noisy but it meant we were going somewhere. A pity they are closing them all down. Our local station ( only a local train ) closed a couple of years ago . The bus isn't the same. It causes so much confusion on market day.

Margie , I know what you mean I baby sit my grandchildren and the eldest one also 11 has just bought himself a phone. It seems like it's the extension of his arm. We get messages from him at midnight. " Nonna ....how are you" and perhaps I only saw him 10 minutes before.

My middle grandson is recently turned 18, and is spending some money that was left to him.

Tattoos and more ridiculous ear piercing. God help us.

My 11 year old grandson doesn't want tattoos but has one ear pierced. But it's discrete and he looks good and he is good looking !!!

Re #2.... Oh no hippo, not another young mind indoctrinated with rap. Prof Green is ok, but don't you think rap is too harsh for youngsters.

I know, they're protesting, bit we had Dylan and Joan Baez who were very clever at getting into people's minds.

Anyway, get her on to 60's stuff !!!!!

As long as its music of any kind, it doesn't really matter. A musical child is a happy child.

Good for you Hippo, I must say that at the beginning when I first heard it I didn't like it but it is catching and they can rap to any type of song. All that matters is rythm.

Sorry to be pedantic. A couple of us here are a bit nit picky where spelling is concerned. LOL

• Upvote 1

I beg your pardon (lol) I'm usually good at spelling and punctuation. Sorry sir it won't happen again

• Upvote 2