Its not even mentioned on the Talktalk home page?

You can find the information about what customer the hackers have obtained here.

http://help2.talktalk.co.uk/oct22incident

We are very sorry to tell you that on Thursday 22nd October a criminal investigation was launched by the Metropolitan Police Cyber Crime Unit following a significant and sustained cyberattack on our website on Wednesday 21st October. The investigation is ongoing, but unfortunately there is a chance that some of the following data may have been accessed:

• Names
  • Addresss
  • Dates of birth
  • Email addresses
  • Telephone numbers
  • TalkTalk account information
  • Credit card details and/or bank details

Being a bit of a reactionary, it seems to me that embracing the cyber age is tantamount to wandering along with your wallet hanging out of your back pocket or the ladies having an open handbag on their arm.

• Upvote 4

My brother in law in Carlton is with them, his wife will be having kittens, as she is super paranoid over banking, c card details etc. she wont even use Facebook as someone told her they steal your identity ! she only does banking in a bank never on line or by phone.

• Upvote 1

Taktalk are giving their members free upgrade with https://www.noddle.co.uk/to monitor your credit status.

This site is very useful to find your credit Status - FREE.

The upgrade monitors any change in your credit status, such as someone applying for a credit card in your name.

I cant see any reason why Non Talktalk customers cannot receive the free upgrade to credit status monitoring?

We know that issues like this can be worrying so we've partnered with Noddle, a credit reporting service from Callcredit, one of the leading credit reference agencies, to offer 12 months of credit monitoring alerts for free. This service can now be activated by using the following code: TT231.

To sign up for Noddle and get your free credit monitoring alerts follow these steps.

I'm with your sister Banjo, I would never undertake banking transactions anywhere other than in the bank. There was a time when the tellers were trying to persuade clients to adopt telephone or online banking and I always told them that as long as dinosaurs like me kept going into the branch, the longer they would have a job!

• Upvote 2

TalkTalk were probably targeted due to their size and market share. The attack could have been against any of the key players in on-line services so let's not be surprised if another big name is headlined in the coming weeks/months.

One of the ultimate goals of such hacking is to get your money from your bank account so why aren't the banks doing more? Surely they must be able to find out where the money went? If the answer is 'abroad' then why can't instruct our bank never to transfer any funds out of the country? If we can at least keep the fraud on-shore, the police might have a fighting chance of catching the baddies.

For most people most of the time, on-line finance is all quite safe (so long as you're sensible with passwords and other simple security measures). Let's face it, if you pay someone by good-old-fashioned cheque, you've supply a printed copy of your account number and sort code as a fraudster's starter for ten.

Where some folk let their guard down is the way they use social media (the F word) - aside of advertising 'Yo...burglar...I'm out of my house!' they let us know their date of birth, mother's maiden name, pets name, school, etc. - all useful data to the would-be hacker or identity thief.

• Upvote 1

We live in a data rich society and this breach of security is another example of an organization that does not respect the data relating to the individual customer. This is a lack of duty of care. Today we had to go into the bank and the building society and at each place I asked if our account data was encrypted. Both assured me that it was but neither quoted from a company policy statement. I am not totally convinced. Last week I emailed Volvo and asked if the engine management system on my car recorded emissions correctly on test. This generated a phone call and a very pleasant conversation with a technical person who quoted company policy. I believed him.

Knowing who to trust becomes more and more difficult and the most vulnerable members of society are seriously at risk.

• Upvote 1

I am with Talk Talk, I recieved an e-mail last week telling me that they had been hacked, I don't tend to worry too much about these things, as the chance of it happening to me is pretty slim, and at the end of the day I would not be liable for any money missing from my account.

How much is 4 million pages of information in memory storage?

How long would it take to download that amount of information?