Tumbler Drier Recall

Best dryer is a strong northerly wind. Costs nowt, easy to maintain and does a cracking job.

• Upvote 4

I remember as a kid the washing frozen solid on the washing line, no driers back then, just Mother Nature and when raining, the clothes horse in front of the fire.

November to spring here is wetter, snowier and colder than the UK, but still use the clothes line, just have to plan the washing days. Winter we freeze dry the clothes, if damp at the end of the day, we use the clothes horse I constructed for the missus.

• Upvote 1

My tumble drier is one of the models that has a possible problem apparently, I've completed an on-line form and will wait and see what the manufacturer will do.

I also remember the washing on the line freezing ....... in the days when we had ice on the inside of our bedroom windows.

It's such a waste of time putting washing on the line at this time of year as you fetch it in still wet and also smelling 'earthy'. Then what? Drape it all on the radiators and fill the house with condensation. No thanks!!

We need humidty due to the house being heated by a wood burning stove, gets very dry, humidity outdoors can be 90% indoors lower than 30% with the stove running.

Most of the "rough cardboardness" of towels is caused by the detergents and minerals in the water.

We stopped using detergents a while back and now use one of these, that use O2 to clean clothes like hospitals and hotels use.

http://www.amazon.com/pureWash-GreenTech-Detergent-Free-Laundry-Booster/dp/B00XD8Q0B4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448370897&sr=8-1&keywords=purewash

I was pretty skeptical when the wife suggested we get one, but after three or more months I'm convinced, it even gets grease stains out that detergent doesn't.

• Upvote 1
  • 9 months later...

So ...... 9 months on and what's occurred with my Hotpoint Tumble Dryer that was at risk of catching fire?  

Well a few months ago an engineer arrived to replace the back panel, he said that that was all that was required to make it safe.  The back panel didn't fit, he left without doing any modifications, saying that Hotpoint would be in touch.  

Last week I received an email asking me to register again for an Engineer's visit or purchase a new dryer at a greatly reduced price, 60% off RRP.  I chose that option seeing as my dryer was 6 years old.

New dryer just been delivered and installed, old machine taken away to be scrapped apparently.  Shame really, there was nothing wrong with it! 

So I'm all set for the wet days ahead.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • 1 year later...