#15. Perry Road over-bridge is behind the photographer.

You're right ! My sense of direction was rubbish. In fact both Perry Road and Haydn Road are behind him. The road on the top of the hill at the tunnel mouth is the unknown Herbert Road.

perry_1.jpg

Been gone a number of years now houses built on it. When I was 15 was going out with a girl who lived on Henley Rise so my route home took me through that way onto Quorn Road then Haydn Road it was houses back then.

Camelot Avenue of Haydn Road roughly follows the old track line toward the tunnel entrance.

#26. Somewhere on that map must be the old Brough motorcycle factory on Haydn Road. Is it the rectangle opposite the hosiery factory?

#26. Somewhere on that map must be the old Brough motorcycle factory on Haydn Road. Is it the rectangle opposite the hosiery factory?

It was the building on the bend of Haydn Rd. opposite the Meridian playing field which was bounded on one side by Quorn Rd. I should know - I was responsible for arranging the demolition! We did have the Brough owners' club up for a viewing prior to it being knocked down. The larger factory/warehouse which was built on the site in about 1975 has since been demolished and the site is now occupied by houses.

• Upvote 2
  • 4 months later...

If you want to see what it looks like inside see http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/underground-sites/26162-mansfield-road-tunnel-nottingham-may13.html#.V1sqs5B4WrU

My memories of it are from trainspotting at the now buried Carrington Station in the early 1960s. You always knew when a train was coming as smoke would emerge from the portal a couple of minutes before the steam engine burst out of the gloom