I know the old GCR tunnel to Weekday Cross has heating pipes inside it, but does anyone know what is the current use or planned future use, of the GCR Mansfield Road Tunnel?

Does anyone know of anyone who has ever been inside the Mansfield Road Tunnel (either in a private or professional capacity)?

There's something about it in the book 'The Rise & Fall of Nottingham's Railway Network - Volume 3 - Off the Beaten Track' by Hayden J. Reed, published by Book Law in 2009.

It mentions the tunnel being inspected in 2002 and describes it as being 'still littered with reminders of its railway past' with track keys, a few sleepers, a signal post, etc, etc. Three photos are included, taken on the occasion of the visit in January 2002 by Council engineers. It says the tunnel (and also Sherwood Rise tunnel) is visited occasionally by the engineers. 'They no longer provide routes anywhere, and being blocked off without through ventilation, they are classified as confined spaces and potentially susceptible to the build up of toxic gases. Consequently they are only entered by qualified personnel with breathing apparatus, and they are kept securely closed.'

If they had put some commuter parking around the area of Clarendon, they could have used a few railcars each way. I'm sure quite a lot of folks from that side of town would have used it. Should have been relatively inexpensive. The infrastructure was already there.

Btw. Where did the Sherwood Rise tunnel come out in Basford? I used to live over in that direction but don't ever remember seeing it back in the 60s. It might have been possible to have had a commuter line right from the ring road.

There are a multitude of pics of the northern end of Sherwood Rise tunnel in various books on Nottinghams railways. Plus of course those on the ex GC. There is a memorable one of a northbound 9F taken by Tom Bousted.

• Upvote 1

If they had put some commuter parking around the area of Clarendon, they could have used a few railcars each way. I'm sure quite a lot of folks from that side of town would have used it. Should have been relatively inexpensive. The infrastructure was already there.

I've always considered the idea of using the old tunnel in some way as an interesting one. A similar principle is in place of course just down the road with the park and ride/tram set up at the Forest.

I'm not sure how much it would help these days as there's still a procession of traffic from where the tunnel would emerge, off in various directions, i.e. Carrington/Sherwood which is snarled up each day.

Btw. Where did the Sherwood Rise tunnel come out in Basford? I used to live over in that direction but don't ever remember seeing it back in the 60s. It might have been possible to have had a commuter line right from the ring road.

From the RCTS website. This is looking back towards Nottingham. Basford station is just behind the photographer; the road going across the top-back is Perry Road.

basford_11.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

It came over a steel bridge wth blue brick supports over Haydn Road where there used to be a high level station. It was next to the Stag Furniture factory and the Cooper Brothers hosiery factory - both since demolished. There was a coal yard and sidings on the Nottingham Rd. side of the station. The track continued on over Valley Road. It's all built over now.

• Upvote 1

There are several good pictures in Railways North From Nottingham " in the latter days of steam ' by Malcolm Castledine. Volume 1.

The demise of the GC route is the greatest redevelopment mistake in the history of civilisation.

Whoever was responsible should rot i ........... I'll leave it there before I get too emotional.

History will show that it's a monumental error in the extreme. Well it already does!

You can keep your East and West Coast routes and especially the Gas Works Railway. The GC was the ultimate.

Had BR not had regional boundaries, then things would have been infinitely different.

To think we went all the way with army surplus green bike lamps from Wakefield's.. Had to change the red bulbs though,as far as I can recall the track had been lifted..was pretty grotty by the time we climbed out behind that small shop on the island..last time with a paraffin lamp we turned right around and walked back.. Crazy!