Supermarket pricing policies?

Chaps, when things were in LSD the average wage was a fiver a week (or similar) now it's £400/week.

We know that Mick........but you can't beat a good moan........for 'Nowt'..........

I think Kwiksave went bust. They used to occupy the old Metropole cinema in Sherwood, which then was acquired and demolished by Somerfield, who built a shiny new supermarket. Somerfield were then bought-out by the Co-Op.

At least the change to real life terms meant the UK had taken a big step towards decimalisation though eh?

[offtopic] How the hell did anyone manage to carry four old pennies so they could work the A-B telephone box? Our parents must have been superhuman. If you knew how to 'tap' them though you could get free calls [/offtopic]

In Carlton precinct there used to be a quicksave supermarket,I loved it,but it closed down ,I wonder what happened to them?

They got taken over by the Co-op must be about ten years ago.

I once read - and I never checked it out to see if it was true - that with pounds, shillings and pence, a party of eight in a restaurant could always divide the bill evenly.

Regarding supermarket pricing policy, being a person who performs the trudge round the local supermarket on a regular weekly basic, I always find the pricing slightly sickening either side of the Christmas/New Year period.

When we buy some similar products every week we get to know the price of goods and it's clear that most food is priced at the top of it's pricing range pre-Christmas - when many people often feel emotionally tied into 'having a good Christmas', providing for their families and not going short of things as they might (have to) at other times of the year.

As soon as the holidays are over the 'bargains' are on the shelves again - because they know that people are absolutely skint and often overspent and it's the only way they'll shift the stuff.

• Upvote 1

I always buy a little extra each week and as a consequence have a well stocked pantry.

• Upvote 1

Good practical suggestions.

I guess there's only so much stocking up you want to do for one person though.

For the little I care about Christmas my extra shopping amounts to a piece of stilton and six mince pies. Bah humbug!

• Upvote 3