Advice needed please

I`d be grateful for advice from people more knowledgeable than me. There`s an email in my inbox that says,

'You have reached your storage limit.

You can not send or receive new messages until you re-validate your mail.

To re-validate your mail box

Click Restore.'

And Restore is a clickable button thingy.

My son has advised me not to click on things I don`t recognise. He isn`t here to ask at the moment.

What do you think?

I second Catfan. If there is an issue with your e-mail best contact your service provider by phone and have them reset things. Sounds like a scam to steal your info to me.

• Upvote 1

Thank you so much! I`ll do that.

It looked so official - but I wondered that they`d written 'can not' instead of 'cannot'. That didn`t look right.

Very grateful! :)

• Upvote 1

EileenH, I agree with FLY2 and loppylugs. How many e-mails do you have in your inbox?. To give you some idea, I've just checked mine and there are 382 messages. If you don't know who an e-mail is from or it looks suspicious, always delete it without opening.

• Upvote 1

Who exactly is your email account with ? eg is it Gmail or Yahoo or whatever ?

If you hover your mouse over the title of the message, you'll see the address of whoever sent it.

In this example, when I held the cursor over the heading "What's on in Nottingham" I got the white box below which showed where it had come from. If you did that on your message, you'll probably find a very strange sender.

email2_1.jpg

• Upvote 1

You make a good point, Cliff. In my response I was thinking of my local e-mail provider who also provides my internet access. I keep those e-mail accounts just for private use. I tend to forget a lot of folks use Yahoo, Gmail etc. I just use those for giving an address for business etc. who would probably sell my address to spammers. I have never found any limit with them. I just delete often to flush the junk.

We get a load of emails saying our bank accountis at risk so confirm your password. They name only english banks. So they now go into junk automatically

In the unlikely event that you were anywhere near a limit, you'd get a warning such as: "You have reached 90% of your free storage limit." or similar, with suggested options like empty your trash/deleted/spam folders and then delete any unnecessary mails. Some providers might suggest you subscribe to get more storage (though more applicable to storing stuff in the 'cloud' than to email).

The notion of 're-validation' just doesn't make sense. As per all other respondents, I concur that it is definitely spam. If it happens again and your email system has provision, report it as spam, otherwise just delete.

I`d like to say how grateful I am for all this advice.

It`s very Nottstalgian isn`t it?

I was thinking, "Oh no. I don`t know what to do. Who can I ask?"

Then I thought - 'Of course! I know who`ll help me!; And you did!

• Upvote 9

I just delete them, I know they probably contain "phishing" aps.

A check of the "full header" usually reveals where they came from, I use Yahoo mail, as far as I'm aware there is no limit on the "box", but I do clear out daily, so I know those mails are just BS.