Inventions - What would you like to see?

My first ones would be:-
A device that stopped any noise from car doors when they were being closed.
A device which automatically closed car windows when music was being played loudly inside.

• Upvote 2

A device implanted into my eyes which made children silent immediately I looked at them.

A device in supermarket car parks that crushed cars that were in the incorrect position. People at Top Valley invariably straddle the white lines, or in the disabled area showing no blue badge, or even park on the chevrons. Anything that prevents them walking more than ten feet to the entrance.

• Upvote 1

A device fitted in car dash boards that instantly euthanases idiot hoons that do burnouts at 3-00am in the morning ! the world would be better off without them.

• Upvote 2

A dream recorder;

I've had such good ideas when asleep but have forgotten then directly on awakening.

Or was that in my imagination?

• Upvote 3

They haven't even found a cure for the common cold yet.

However , two of my friends have. Jameson & Bailey.

I'm sure a cure for the common cold could be found but it's not in the interests of the drug companies to come up with one whilst they can make a fortune from us selling quack medicines.

Many years ago a friend of mine who worked for a big drug company on the agricultural side came up with a substance that completely eliminated red mite from fowl pens for years. The substance was marketed in a much diluted form so the customers would have to come back for more each year. There's no altruism in big business.

• Upvote 2

I would love a remote control to instantly silence & forcibly make out of control & noisy brats shut up & go to sleep.

Any vehicle that exceeds the speed limit by five miles an hour to force the vehicle to stop & refuse to re-start until a £500 fine has been paid, no exceptions. Three fines in five years would be a compulsory tougher re-test, again, no exceptions & no crying or bleating about so called hardship excuses.

• Upvote 2

Michaelbooth

President Obama launched his "moonshot" on cancer recently. His hope is that the intelligence, inventiveness and plain old gumption which got men to walk on the moon can be used to defeat cancer. Of course this doesn't dominate the headlines as it is positive news. We would rather hear that Cheryl Version-Orsole-Coal-Twitty (or whatever her name is this week) has broken a fingernail and was VERY upset about it.

Obama has put billions behind the project. Its about time. The most likely avenue is autoimmune treatments, where the body can identify and kill the cancer cells with medical assistance. No single cure for cancer can be obtained as cancer is not a single disease but many. I think this is a very honourable move by the President, and I hope that history remembers him as the man who, if not defeated cancer, saved millions of lives by accelerating research.

• Upvote 7

Nice post, mercurydancer. I watched a TV programme about President Obama and he's tried to change many things in America.

The problem though is similar to the UK, Party politics. They all seem to think that the Party is more important than the country.

• Upvote 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Seriously, I don't know if such a thing exists but a bit of kit that could accurately measure pain would be very beneficial. On the unfortunate occasions when you find yourself in hospital they invariably ask you 'how strong is the pain from 1 to 10?' We can measure temperature; wouldn't it be good if pain could be measured in a similar way? Okay, it is said that we have different pain thresholds but we could each, as individuals, have a rating that could be factored in to the reading.

local areas of pain could be identified; medication could be administered more accurately.

What do you know or think?

• Upvote 1

Beduth

Not possible. Pain is real but subjective. A temperature is objective.

You and I could suffer identical injury and describe the pain levels totally differently, and even within ourselves, pain tolerance can vary tremendously.

I'm not sure a pain detector would be that useful. If I have little pain and a machine says I should be in a lot of pain I may do either of two things- agree with the machine and feel strong pain or get all wound up about a machine saying something that I genuinely know not to be true. There is a solution, and its in operation now. Not with machines but very skilled doctors and nurses.

This is a huge thing, the hospital pain control teams are getting very good at doing exactly what you have suggested, but they do it with clinical skill and not machines. Thats where the research money should be invested.

• Upvote 2

Mercurydancer

Thank you. I totally understand your observations and accept your favouring of man in lieu of machine. Yes the tolerance factor is probably so broad between different people that only skilled personnel can identify the intensity by observation and relevant questioning of the patient.

Then again a pain machine would show all the supposed benefit scroungers who are "laying" it on.

I often have people race past me in Bulwell with "dole pole" or "benefit stick" in hand who are not using the said stick but merely taking it for a walk !

Only last wee a woman left me for standing & she was pushing a "zimmer frame". !

• Upvote 1