Last time I was in the area I visited Palazzo Rosso in Pocapaglia and bought a case of Barbera D'Alba. I prefer it to Piemonte Barbera. I also bought some Barbaresco, Nebbiolo D'Alba and Barolo. It's a lovely family run business.

Barbera is Piemonte wine. Pocapaglia is in Piemonte. I think you mean Barbera D'Alba is the one you prefer. Canadian visitors the other day said they have toured most of the vineyards in Italy and much prefer Piemonte wines to Tuscany wines . They also said Piemonte wines are far more superior and theres more selection. When all is said and done its a matter of choice and preference don't you think. Anyway whatever its a festa well worth visiting. 10 Nottingham friends are coming down next week they wouldnt miss it for anything.

I should have explained that the Piemonte Barbera ( as named on the bottle) was a 12% whereas the Alba was 13.5%. I'm well aware of the differences between Barbera D'Alba, D'Asti and del Monferrato and that Barbera is not solely a Piedmont wine, it's a grape which is grown in other regions as well and Barbera can be bought from South America and Australia as well as Italy. This particular vineyard produces 2 bottles, Barbera D'Alba and Piemonte Barbera.

l7sYNpb.jpg

• Upvote 1

I suspect that the designation 'Piemonte Barbera' is used for wine that hasn't reached the standard expected for D'Alba etc. I can find lots of wine called just 'Piedmont Barbera' here and it's generally lower ABV than the D'Alba or the D'Asti.

I get the impression that you thought I was being a bit argumentative when it wasn't meant to be. Its not in my nature. I personally haven't heard of Piemonte Barbera but that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist, but now I know a bit more!

My son apart from his restaurant runs the local Bottega del vino, in which are 6 or 7 local producers most of which are sons of long established producers and are coming in with new ideas and wines.

He also sells Barbera d'Alba not sure whose but Barbera whoever produces it is the wine from this area and this festival promotes it.

Everyone is free to choose and who am I to say you're wrong.

Please don't take this as an offence it is in no way meant to annoy you or tell you what you do or do not know.

Piemonte Barbera is the lowest category in the appelation system for the Barbera variety. You then have the Barbera d'alba DOC, the Barbera Monferrato DOCG and the Barbera d' Asti DOCG both as a Superiore and non, being the highest appelation in the system including geographical mentions such as Tinella and Nizza to mention just a few, something that the Barbera d'Alba does not have. By all means taste is personal but generally speaking the Barbera d'Alba has a much softer taste disguising the main characteristics of the varietal. (Written by son, WSET CERTIFIED).

My mum accepts no responsibility for my reply!! Salute, cheers!!

• Upvote 2

I think the descriptions must suffer from translation.

Barbera D'Alba - Average ripe cheese, no way, I only eat good quality cheese.

Barbaresco - "Stainless wood vats"? what are these? Tasting notes use the word "Harsh" not a word like to hear in connection with wine.

Piemonte Barbera- "Bouquet is winey" not surprising after all it is wine. What else do people expect?

Many Australian Vineyards produce Barbera. These is the tasting notes of Coriole Vineyards Barbera 2005 sounds much better than the Italian versions. From their website.

Wine making notes - Wine making a Coriole is very traditional and labour intensive. Fermentation is in open tanks with hand plunging and pump overs. Oak maturation for Barbera is in older barrels to ensure good aging but without dominant oak flavours.

Tasting Notes - Beautiful aromas of black cherry, cocoa and blueberry highlight the wine. The flavor of ripe plum, berry and cocoa bring out the true character. The palate is true to form exhibiting the varieties trademark pronounced acidity, balanced with rich textural fruit.

Found this interesting item .Why does Barbera do best in Piedmont? In addition to the obvious reason - the variety's excellent adaptation to the region's climate and soil - another explanation is the respect that the Piedmont farmer gives to Barbera; whereas in other regions in Italy the prolific Barbera is often over-cropped or not grown in the best areas, in Piedmont it is seldom over-cropped, and it's planted in the most suitable areas, invariably on a hillside.

The Piedmontese have a history with Barbera, after all: not only is it indigenous to the region, but the Piedmontese themselves also consume enormous quantities of it (along with Dolcetto, their other favorite red wine). Barbera grows in three districts in southeast Piedmont, each with its own D.O.C. appellation: Barbera d'Alba, Barbera d'Asti and Barbera del Monferrato.

The Barbera d'Alba D.O.C. zone includes the Langhe hills around the town of Alba, overlapping the same zones as Barolo and Barbaresco, and extends into the Roero zone. Most of the best Barbera d'Albas grow in hillside vineyards close to Barolo vineyards.

The Asti zone, just north of the Barbera d'Alba zone around the town of Asti, is of course famous for its sweet sparkling wines, Asti and Moscato d'Asti, but its only important red wine is Barbera d'Asti. The Barbera d'Asti D.O.C. zone is quite large, covering most of Asti province and extending into Alessandria province to the east. It is here in Asti province, in the Monferrato hills, that Barbera is thought to have originated.

Barbera del Monferrato is the least-known of the three Piedmontese Barberas, and the one we don't see very much of in the U.S. The Barbera del Monferrato D.O.C. zone lies partly in Asti province and partly in Alessandria province, but most of the wines come from around the town of Alessandria. I found no Barbera del Monferrato wines in my local stores when I was shopping for wines for this column (they do exist in limited quantities in various parts of the country), and so my wine reviews and remarks are confined to the more available Barbera d'Alba and Barbera d'Asti wines.

As I thought re Piemonte Barbera then. I mostly tend towards softer wines for every day hence my preference for D'Alba. For special occasions I veer towards Valpolicellas, however, particularly Ripassos and Amarones. Whilst Barolos are amazing, Amarones just beat them imho.

We know that!

• Upvote 2

They've even been known to rip the cork out with their teeth no less!

Remember Hirondelle, Bulls Blood, White Lightning. FFS, how did we all survive?

No they don't F2. They smash the neck off the bottle on the edge of the table!!!

• Upvote 1

You can get into it quicker though!

Well, after all this talk of wine yesterday, I may take a trip down to Lidls. Any chance of success?

Don't answer that, but I doubt it.