Good Skive Excuses

Waltzing time in half an hour, Feeling kn......d, could really do with a skive tonight. I'm sure some of you have got a good Skive excuse for me, and I'll bet a few of you tried it on when you were younger, well even now, if you want to get out of something.

Come on what excuse can I use? I don't think the old "I can't come tonight, I've got a bone in my leg" will do, it's a bit dated.

I bet there's a few skivers among us, own up, I promise not to tell! slywink

I was a maintenance electrician in mining, didn't have a need to skive, most of the time my job was a total skive.....LOL

When it comes to work can honestly say 'never ever skived' loved all my working life (still do) feel sorry for those that did'nt............after all we spent alot of our lives working.............

Best excuse I heard from a 12 year old when he`d failed to hand in his homework again.

I sighed and said, 'I suppose the dog ate your homework again Wayne?

And quick as a flash and with a straight face he replied, 'Actually Miss, the dog ate my pencil so I'm afraid I couldn`t do it.'

Bet he went far.

When we ran our own family busines had all them lame excuses Ian......plus a popular one today 'its my birthday' or even the partners and kids birthday,but the ones i really did't like when they wer'nt true was that someone close had passed away,......Twice in some cases..........lol.

At least, that’s what an 1854 use of the word ‘skiving’ might have us believe. ‘kiving like a lapwing’ was apparently a common enough phrase in Northamptonshire at the time, to make it into Anne E. Baker’s Glossary of Northamptonshire words and phrases, describing the birds’ skimming over the surface of the water.

Today, of course, the term is used by politicians the lapwing-related sense of the word is informative. In the 19th century, to skive was to move lightly and quickly; to dart.

Since the early 20th century, it has been more commonly used in Britain to mean:

To evade a duty, to shirk; to avoid work by absenting oneself, to play truant.

In the context of recent discussions of benefits and the skivers who do not deserve to claim them, that seems about right. The most likely etymology, according to the Oxford English Dictionary seems to be from the French, esquiver, that is: to dodge, or slink away. But I like to think of my most successful attempts at skiving as having the same light, quick, darting motion and glorious enjoyment of freedom as that of a bird skimming the water.

On the buses. on a crap shift when raining, two big electrical terminals on the wiper motor would easily short out when a back door key "fell" across the terminals !

Oh dear ! hellothere

Only on nights #3, actually at Boulby, it was too hot, and conditions demanded you kept on your toes, going to sleep and being carried out in a body bag because of a fall isn't pleasant, so I'm led to believe.....