Is there a plan B?

Last night I tried to log onto NS as usual.  My computer stared at me with a blank screen and finally said, Nottstalgia not found.  I tried on and off all evening, but no luck.  Never did get on Sunday night, but it set me thinking.

What would happen if, God forbid, Nottstalgia became extinct?  After all a variety of issues could cause it.  The Internet is flimsy when you think about it.

Just think,. No more exploits of our Ben, No more, Jill's moggies, No more Loppy dogs, No more of Cliffton's valuable Nottingham knowledge and photos. No more Chulla poetry. No more Carni's cream cakes.  :(. If I didn't mention your name don't be mad at me all your posts are valuable.  We have become like extended family on here.  Like all families we don't always agree but I think we do a great job of getting along.  I sense genuine caring when one of us is sick etc.. I could go on but I'm sure you get my point.

So.  My question becomes in the, hopefully, unlikely event that NS became unavailable do we have a meeting place?  Over here, and maybe in the UK a lot of families have a planned meeting place in the event of disaster, fire, hurricane, tornado etc.  All family members are expected to meet there if possible, if they are not at home or if home no longer exists.

I would really hate to lose touch with you lot.  I'm not sure what would be a viable alternative.  Any, thoughts suggestions???

Long Live NS!!!!

• Like 7

I am a member on three W-ton and four Nottm nostalgic sites, one being Nottstalgia. I enjoy each site for the interesting chat and photographs they bring into my life. NS was the first one I joined( not in a very good way) but I put that down to not knowing how to go about it, it was my first computer and I was learning how to use it myself. for some reason I love the friendship this site gives, almost like having penpals from years ago.  As much as I enjoy the other sites, I have no inclination to join in the chat but do enjoy the nostalgic value they give me. Sometimes I think there can be some harsh talk on NS and I think it really spoils the atmosphere, if I don't like the conversations, I stay away from them, and I feel sometimes words used can be blunt and hurtful and not really what NS should be about. If NS ever closed, I don't think I would ever bother to participate on another site. This is the one for me, and I have got quite attached to some of its friendly users. Loppy Luggs, you are right, it would be an awful shame to all lose touch, but it could happen as you say.:(

• Like 5

I'm inclined to agree with you, Carni.  I might drop off the 'net entirely.  Apart from one or two news sites, which in these days one has to apply a bit of skepticism, and the Organ forum I don't do much online.  The Organ forum is fine, but does not have the sense of shared history that NS has.  Members are from all over the world and the talk is almost entirely based on the instruments and music folks play.  Very little personal stuff.

I think that is what has made NS so special to me.  The sense of shared history which I cannot have even with Mrs. L, because she has never been to Nottingham and I didn't grow up in Tenessee.  Having driven all over Nottingham with the EMEB I can relate to a lot of members posts even though I may not have grown up in their neighborhoods.

To the best of my knowledge, Facebook has nothing to compare and I don't have, or want an account.

• Like 3

I know what you mean LL, if any thing happens we'll have to meet at the lions in the square:rolleyes:

Sorry LL no good for you. I was like you, wouldn't entertain FB but a few months ago my sister

who lives in Canada was not well and also moving house, to cut a long story short after not

hearing for over two weeks I started to panic so I joined FB just to connect with my Nieces. What

I'm trying to say is if you are on FB you can never really lose touch.   

• Like 3

Can't argue with that Sue.  Mrs L has a FB account, she has always told me I could use it if want. I suppose I could always check in there. I would hate to lose touch.

Meet at the Lions!  It might be enough to make me buy a plane ticket.  ;)

• Like 3

If Nottstalgia disappeared, for whatever reason, I don’t think there’s an easy way to fill the gap. It would be difficult to get this number of like-minded people in the same place at the same time using another platform. One solution would be if another forum was started to replace NS, but that would need time to grow and develop. Nottstalgia has a 12 year history to fall back on, and you don’t get one of those overnight. 

The other solution is obviously Facebook, but it’s different in many ways. As was mentioned in another thread a few days ago….

On 26/09/2017 at 9:43 AM, Cliff Ton said:

The FB pages and groups win in terms of the number of people who view each post or image; if you want a big audience that’s where to go. Post something on those pages and it will be seen by hundreds or thousands of people; and there’s a good chance you will find - or be found by - someone you haven’t seen for 30 years. 

But they don’t have the Nottstalgia ability to create long discussions, or cover topics in any depth. You won’t get the cosy group feeling which can exist on NS. With some FB sites, you can make a post on a subject and within a couple of hours it’s gone so far down the list no-one will ever see it again.

I know quite a few Nottstalgia people are on Facebook, and I’m sure there are many more who I’m not aware of. Some people have private email contact with others outside Nottstalgia but that's a small-scale thing. If NS disappeared, Facebook would be the only way to stay in contact with large numbers of others, although the atmosphere wouldn’t be the same.

Either that, or try and remember what you did before the internet was invented.

• Like 3

Just out of interest.  Did NS go off-line last night or was it a problem on my end.  It would have been after midnight your time so I wondered if the website was taken off-line for maintenance or something.  All other websites were working o-k.

I can't see Nottstalgia disappearing, but we do have a group on FB just in case the site "hiccups" to keep members appraised of what's going on, which has happened when the servers go down now and again. Here's the URL, but like I stated, it's there just in case we have problems here and so we can keep members up to date, we don 't use it for "chewing the fat".   https://www.facebook.com/groups/123543434353786/

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, loppylugs said:

Just out of interest.  Did NS go off-line last night or was it a problem on my end.  It would have been after midnight your time 

Yes, around 11.30 last night I'd posted a couple of things, and after that NS was not there. Back ok this morning.

Probably a server problem, busy/overloaded???

Give it a rest !