Sign in to follow this  
DaveN

Gee Dee Models Closing

Another victim of the computer age where people prefer staring at screens and fiddling with joysticks and mouses rather than actually doing anything practical - even if that was just model making.

• Like 1

This is sad. I’ve known Gee Dee since I was a child. I knew Mr. Grain as he used to make and sell shrink wrap machinery from another part of the business. Nobody will take it on. The Council have made it very difficult to shop in Nottingham nowadays and most people shop for the things they sell on line now. I never go into Nottingham now. What is there to see?

Tragic. I passed a few weeks ago and noticed it was looking a bit bare. Such a shame.

I think you all have to think "when did I last use that place?" exactly! Use it or loose it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I did use Gee Dee’s but why do a 28 mile round trip in the car and pay to park in the Victoria Centre when I can get what I want delivered to my door? Real shops are ok for hands on browsing but you still probably buy the article cheaper on line when you get back home. That’s the way of the World now. I just wonder what will happen to town centres.

• Like 1

Modern business acumen should have taught Gee Dee's about the advantages of an online presence. The shop appeared to be of sufficient size to do that.

• Like 1

They do have a website from which you can buy online. The guys who run the shop are well past retirement age with no family members to take it on. Grain owns the premises so I imagine they will be sold and converted into apartments. Who would open a shop in Nottingham nowadays?

Edit. I’ve just checked their website but it’s not linked to stock so you can view but not buy. That confirms your comment about lack of business acumen.

From about 15 month ago .... Think both questions answered ..... No & yes

C9Z00rqXcAQP84V?format=jpg&name=900x900