No Ian, i took her up the lift

• Replies 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ben, another group called The Spinners with some fantastic shots of the UK. The song was all about the "Right to Roam". Written by Ewan MacColl I've walked and climbed in most of the places in th

Moved into our new home today,,now sat quietly apart from a little jig when the music of Dr Hook gets too much to sit still, The site seems to have got back to its friendly ways,,so I'm back,,

I listen to "Always" and I'm thinking of fabulous Mrs WW, from happy courting days to the sweetest honeymoon, through all the years, all the sunsets, all the sunrises, all the hard times, near disaste

Posted Images

For a bit there I was convinced that 'Gossip Calypso' was by Lance Percival.. until I reminded myself that it was..

.who had the hit here..

But further research shows that the song was written in 1943 and has been recorded numerous times since.

We MUST get this stuff right!!!:laugh:

• Like 1
4 hours ago, IAN FINN said:

Did you go dancing with Fenella ben maybe The Whistle Stop.

Surely no dancing at the Whistle Stop?  As I recall upturned milk churns for seats and just a 'basement boozer'.. though to be fair I never went in in the evening.

9 hours ago, radfordred said:

Best draw the curtains, people looking in might think I'm having a fit or watching Joe Wicks :crazy:

I useter have the 78 of that.  May still have it somewhere in the loft..

• Like 3

Above post, reminds me of a bloke I used to work with, the whole factory floor was wooden, he would do that type of tiptoe toe tapping legs kicking type dance, the floor was all his.

I was told the maple flooring was carefully removed & staked on pallets? 

EnCR__kWMAE71gM?format=jpg&name=4096x409

• Like 1

Master's uncle kept a pub. When he had to go down the cellar to change a barrel,  being only 18-30ish old, customers , they would put Dave Clark Five (Glad all over) on the jukebox. Then when they all stamped there feet a voice would come up from the cellar, What the B_______ hell are you lot doing, I'm getting cover in dust and muck. When I get back to the bar i'm taking that record off (45mpm) and bunning it.   and I'm banning the lot of you.

• Like 1
On 1/25/2021 at 10:37 PM, mary1947 said:

In a early post I did say about the Gaumont  changing  to a night club called "Maddisons"  can any one remember it?

At the same  time if my memory is right there was Blotts  Home Pierpoint and the Black Orchid on Lenton lane. Do any member go to these nightclubs?

My dad used to say ask a daft question and you won;t get an answer. 

So if no one wishers to answer, I'll thow my dummie out of the pram or maybe just not read any other comment's.

I'll answer you Mary........

NO Never went  !!!!

• Like 1

Just watched this great 60s number on Facebook....

''Save the last Dance for me''       ''The Drifters'''

'''YOU can dance with the man who held your hand let him hold you tight'''

''But don't forget who.s taking you home'''

Next line please............

Just remembered we also had Bernard Bresslaw's comedy record “Mad Passionate Love” in our family record collection during the 50s and 60s. The B side was a song called “You need Feet” a parody of Max Bygrave's hit “You need Hands”

Bernard Bresslaw sprang to fame in The Army Game followed by the Carry On films. The Army Game was a very successful ITV show and featured many well known actors such as William Hartnell, Alfie Bass, Bill Fraser, Norman Rossington and Dick Emery.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

Just watched this great 60s number on Facebook....

''Save the last Dance for me''       ''The Drifters'''

'''YOU can dance with the man who held you tight'''

''But don't forget who.s taking you home'''

Next line please............

"And in whose arms you're gonna be"

"So darlin' save the last dance for me".

• Like 3

The King Brothers, ( no relation).

" Standing on the corner,

Watching all the girls go by"

"Standing on the corner,

Giving all the girls the eye".

• Like 1

''Brother you don't know a nicer occupation''

''Matter of fact neither do i ''

Form Warsops finest "Ferocious Dog" ....... haunting, anyone been to Auschwitz?

I have driven to the Buchenwald site. It's in a forest and has a visitor center and a cafe which somehow just seemed wrong. I felt uncomfortable once there and drove away again, I didn't even get out the car.

Been to Auschwitz and Birkenau  every one should go. People talk about it but untill you go you have no idea whats it's like. Went into the guards towers and looked up to where the trains came in. In one of the huts where wooden bunks for sleep, there was a iron fire, but of cause not lit. The people had to sleep 7/8 in a bunk , the bunks were not as wide as a single bed. When we were there a group of jewish children were there with their Rabbi it was a rear site to see, all the children had  the flag of David on there backs. I did draw the line when you could go inside the gas chambers, though  even when we went you could get an idea what it was like. The people must have gone though hell. If you have never been to the Holocaust centre then do try and visit. It is at Southall They have lots of details of how thing were, but its not the same as going to Auschwitz.   

ps If you go, the go by your own steam. We booked a flight and hotel in Krakow then we just went and booked the local bus the went to the camps. In Krakow we stayed in a small hotel that was owned by Jewish people, the could not have made us more welcom, Krakow has a large square with cafes and hotels around plus from the square you can visit a large indoor market, also there is a chemist shop with 5 floors and you should see what they have in there. Near where we stayed there was a little Jewish church, inside you could only seat about a dozen people. Put this place down on your list to go and see you will not be disappointed, upset for a while but if you get the chance GO.

9 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

I'll answer you Mary........

NO Never went  !!!!

Nor me!  I’m guessing both those clubs opened in late 70s-early 80s?  I was away from Nottingham by then.  

• Like 1

Sorry.. but I don't think I could visit any of the Holocaust sites.  Mrs Col seems endlessly fascinated.. but I am just endlessy appalled and sickened. 

More to the point....whilst many people may need to be reminded....educated etc... I don't.  I get it.. I believe it.. and I will do all I can to stop it ever happening again.

• Like 3

Ref: the video of Fred Astaire and Eleanor Powell above.  Obviously it's a 're- working' to suit the Contours Motown classic 'Just a Little Misunderstanding' .. and I think it works pretty well.

I think the original was Eleanor and Fred's version of 'Begin The Beguine'. From Broadway Melody of 1940'  By all accounts.. Fred was very nervous working with her because although he was a great all round dancer.. she was the queen of tap.

• Like 2

I have medals for tap dancing but I don’t think my feet ever moved that quickly!  Brilliant...

• Like 2

DJ360 I knowit is hard to visit these place but each to their own, I did not enjoy going to Auschwitz or Birkenau but it doe's bring it home and it is part of history. Last night on tv they interviewed a lady who had been in one of these camps, i think she was about 7/8 years old and all she could remember was her father being taken away while holding her hand, she never did him again.  At the interview she said yes ! we can all remember it happening but it has not stopped it happening again. How true are her words? very true.

• Like 1