Mt 8:26? All about fearful disciples and calming rough seas?

Hard to believe Aspley is now a bit ropey. Nice area of council houses with usually well kept lawns etc. when it was part of my beat with the EMEB.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lovely morning in Bulwell.......sun shining.......Lots of folk of all types about...quite busy to say there was no market on...best thing about Bulwell is the down to earth ''Banter'' Old lady in

Just before i rolled into the river leen down Bulwell Bogs......the story goes two of my teenage Aunts took me down the Bogs and bought me a sucker. i then rolled into the Leen...they said i was still

Bulwell home guard WW2 years... Just found this on Turtons Bulwell photo's....And i am certain thats my Dad far right second from bottom with the Moustache ..........I'M  so happy at finding it..i cou

Margie et al. The quotation was said in jest. Just thought that Bulwell people fighting reminded me of the saying. And with Catfan mentioning that particular bible chapter and verse I put the two together. Oh dear, now I will never go to heaven.(thank heaven for that) LOL

#437. I don't doubt, I know that there is no God, I know that there is no heaven, and I know that the bible is just a book written by well-intentioned people, and that there is not a shred of evidence to prove anything that is written in it. Even if I were wrong and your God does exist and is responsible for my being; he gave me a brain to think with. Must I therefore only think the way he, and those who believe in him, want me to?

Let's leave it there.

• Upvote 2

Chulla, my dear chap. :-)). You are perfectly free to believe whatever you want. No quarrel with me. You don't answer to me. Not quite sure how we equated Bulwell and Biblical quotes. As you know, you are free to think anyway you want. Truth will stand investigation. At least we agree on music. :-))

Nah then! I read some time ago that Broxtow had become known as the Bronx. From what I understand the Bronx in NY city has simmered down from what it used to be. Wonder if they all moved to Broxtow.

• Upvote 1

Dad always said,...........after recieving a 'Volley' from Mam,..............'.alright alright its like being down Narra Marsh,'........can't recall Narra Marsh but I don't think it was Posh,.......lol.

• Upvote 1

Broxtowe and Aspley started going downhill in the early 70s.

In the mid 70s the company I worked for did a major central heating contract starting in Broxtowe and working down through Aspley. By there were some rum, dirty boggers up there.

From what I heard from some of the original residents it was put down to an influx during the demolition of the so called slums. You could go from one house where you could eat your dinner of the floor it were that clean to another where there would be green dog shite on the old army blankets covering the bed.

It got that bad that at one stage we had two Moth Hawks (remember them) hung in the back of the van, these threaded on string were hung round your neck so you could only smell them. On the shelf below was a packet of flea powder to dust around the top of your boots.

In the end we had a council officer going round with the foreman to program the works, he would decide if the house needed fumigating before we went in to install the new heating.

Yes Aspley was quiet and a 'nice' area of council housing. My grandmother lived on Minver Cresc. and died in 1980. It was starting to go downhill then. I have photos taken in the sixties in the front garden of No. 97 and you can see into the distance all the perfectly trimmed privet hedges. I took a short cut (or so I thought) up Amersham Rise, around Minver Cresc, down Rosslyn Drive and out onto Bells Lane just before Christmas. It is ROUGH!

• Upvote 2

The one & only time in my life that I got scared was when in broad daylight I was threatened by two pieces of scum with knives who tried to steal my Sat Nav from my wagon whilst making a delivery in Aspleh.

One of them did get a smack in the mouth though ! hellothere

• Like 1

You can see what I meant in post no. 450 here. The subjects are not relevent, they are two of my cousins. The photo is taken in the front garden of 97 Minver Cresc., camera pointing clockwise around the circle. The house on the left of the picture that appears to be on a diagonal to the rest is on the corner of Ambleside Road. Nice neat hedges - not like that now! Photo would have been taken in the late '60's

mr687q.jpg

• Upvote 2

^^^^^^^^^ Yes there were some like that when I worked there, some very house proud people with good attitudes too.

One of the other sort I remember Tunstall Crescent I think, had a donkey residing in the bathroom off the kitchen, hay in the bath and water in the wash hand basin. That house stank to high heaven, moth hawks out, trouser bottoms tucked into socks secured with elastic bands and below the knee sprinkled with flea powder.

A friend on FB who grew up on Amesbury Circus same as me, lives in Leics. He had to go to Nottingham many years ago on business, so thought he'd drive to his old house on the Circus and take a look. He parked outside the house, and was immediately surrounded by a gang of kids, who looked at him like they'd like to kill him. He drove off quickly, scared to death.