Where Have all the years gone Happy New Year

New Years Eve 

What did you do on any New Years Eve (That you can remember) and what do you regret.

We used to have brillant New Years, now how the years have just flown bye Gone are thoes nights/days.

What I regret.  Whlie living in South Africa a friend of mine was comming over to UK for Christmas and New Year, on her return she told me that on New Years Eve she was Celebrating  by sitting with a drink in her hand in Trafalgar Fountains in London. 

On me returning to the UK I vowed that in my life time I had never ever been in Trafalgar or Nottingham Square Fountains This was one thing I must do before ? but alas the fountains in the square have now gone and we only have them little squirts.

New Year 

Years and years ago   we would allways make a trip down to the posh end of the UK, Surrey.   Master had relatives who were steward and stewardess of a small village club in Gomshall.  Well we had 5 adults and 2 small boys in our old Wosley (no seat belts then)  We allways had a great time every one made us very welcom  but the best part of New Years eve was when some one came into the club dressed as Father Time with another person dressed as a baby sitting in a wheel barrow. The baby changed places with Old Father Time then he was taken to the strem and tipped in.  Of cause when you have had a few drinks its much better,

Just a little bit more Going down South via a newly built Road which was called the M1   

not sure if this road is still their.

• Like 1

Trust me Mary1747, that road is still there. Quite a nice road when I drove down it last week, when I came from Nottingham. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

When our children were small, we used to join with two or three other families to see in the new year and have a party in one of our houses.  We had great food and lots of family-friendly party games.  One time I remember there were 10 adults, 6 older teenagers and 9 younger children!  (We all had big houses at that time :) ) 

In the early 1990s we were fostering 2 teenagers and decided on one New Years Eve about 9pm that we’d go down to Trafalgar Square to join in with tne crowds there.  We parked at Tottenham Hale tube station and got to the square in plenty of time.  It was VERY crowded but we all held on to each other to stay together.  

These days we usually go to bed well before midnight or fall asleep in our chairs while watching TV and miss it altogether!

• Like 1

The years come and go so quickly that it takes a while to sort the years out

Our New Years Eve was always joining our customers at our restaurant ( whichever one we had at the time). We always joined in the fun and got to know our customers in a social situation. Although we don’t have the restaurants now our son and daughter carry on the same tradition. I must say though in a way I miss it.

• Like 1

Why is it seen as an excuse to drink to excess? It used to amuse me to see the effect alcohol has, now it simply annoys me how staggeringly stupid it makes people. Being sober among a crowd of drunks I can do without.

• Like 2

I can’t remember the last time I had too much to drink. It must have been many years ago. Last Monday night  I came back from the pub and tripped over the post at the end of the drive that holds the gate hook. I fell flat on my face but my outstretched hands avoided a catastrophe. I just felt the tip of my nose touch the tarmac. I’d only drunk one pint of Doom Bar in over an hour and a half.

• Like 2

@philmayfield  sorry you had a fall - hope you didn’t damage your wrists when you broke your fall.  That’s a common way that people can fracture their wrist!  Were you by yourself when you fell?

• Like 1

You didn't have enough, Phil. Drunks rarely hurt themselves...and no, I am not speaking from experience!  The last time I fell over was three years ago, in the garden. I twisted round to avoid falling over one of the cats, lost my balance and fell. Bruises but nothing broken. Not even the wine glass! :rolleyes:

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

I can’t remember the last time I had too much to drink. It must have been many years ago. 

I've never really had too much to drink, because I just can't drink large amounts. It's not a matter of choice, it's practical reality. I couldn't become an alcoholic/idiot even if I wanted to, because I simply can't drink a large quantity of anything, and certainly not within a short period of time.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, MargieH said:

@philmayfield  sorry you had a fall - hope you didn’t damage your wrists when you broke your fall.  That’s a common way that people can fracture their wrist!  Were you by yourself when you fell?

I was alone. Just bruises on my palms. My lightning fast reactions prevented disaster. I just felt my nose and the bridge of my specs touch the tarmac. I was chuckling with relief when I walked through the front door. 

• Like 1

To me, it always comes as a total surprise just how powerful gravity is, and how quickly you accelerate toward the ground.

• Like 1