Gardening Forum any advice

I remember him when he were a little lad. Mind you, I weren't much older.

If you do decide to talk to the Waitrose lettuces, don't forget to pick up your free coffee. :cheers:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

… and then people wonder why there are so many floods.  There’s too much concrete/paving etc and not enough plants and trees to suck up the excess water.  I know that’s far from the complete answer bu

Had a present from a chap down the avenue from me.........he's seen me with my over 100 'Pot plants''........and today he knocked on my door and Presented me with a Beautiful ''Monkey Puzzle Tree''...

The man who mows my lawns is not due for another week..........so decided to test myself and do the small front lawn.(about the size of the 6 yard box in football)..the back lawn is as big as the whol

Phil you don’t need help, you’re already getting that from talking to your toms.

I put 22 in my greenhouse and 12 melon plants (Helen’s Melons) Need to put French green beans and sweetcorn in this week at the allotment,  they’re so ready. Think we’ll be ok for really cold nights now although I normally transplant when it’s  more than 10 deg overnight and it’s not quite! I managed to fall over backwards there on Saturday. Didn’t do me a lot of good but surprisingly no serious injuries. 

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

He’ll always be Prince Charles to me. He looked so silly wearing a crown.

I cannot get used to this King Charles business. Every time I hear it, I have a mental image of Charles I. Can't get used to all the other changes in titles, either.  When I was a child, we had savings stamps, purchased from school once a week. Charles was on some of them and Anne on another. They were only children then, as was I. It's making me feel old.

• 11 months later...

Had a present from a chap down the avenue from me.........he's seen me with my over 100 'Pot plants''........and today he knocked on my door and Presented me with a Beautiful ''Monkey Puzzle Tree''......more of a baby one really standing just 3 feet tall..........Apparantly they are now an endangerd species in their homelands in parts of South America...(been reading up on them).....must admit i dont notice an abundance of them anywhere......

Daft as it sounds DJ360 Asked me if the one on Heathfield estate was still there some time ago........my answer was yes and i remember it being there when i was at school..........They reckon in Chile they have been known to live for a thousand years......

Obviously mine being in a pot wont live that long....but if i look after it it'll see me out.........

Anyway its now sitting in a nice Pot surrounded by its many new friends.in the evening sunshine......Made my day.........

• Like 5

What a lovely gift for you Ben, 

Rog

They were once extremely common in front gardens.  I remember one on Bobbers Mill Road, next door but one to my piano teacher, many years ago. It never seemed to grow very much but in the UK climate, it probably wouldn't.  On a visit to Berridge a couple of years ago, I walked past that house and, sadly, the tree is no longer there. 

I have a Bristlecone Pine (Pinus Aristata) in my garden.  It was here when I moved in as the previous owner ran a garden centre and brought all the waifs and strays home.  Pinus Aristata is, apparently, one of the oldest known plants on the planet.

A friend in Arnold has a large monkey puzzle tree in her front garden, it’s been there many years.  I love them as they’re unusual and not seen very often.  Take care of it Ben. 

2 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I have a Bristlecone Pine (Pinus Aristata) in my garden.  It was here when I moved in as the previous owner ran a garden centre and brought all the waifs and strays home.  Pinus Aristata is, apparently, one of the oldest known plants on the planet.

I had to have a looksee on t'internet re your tree Jill.

It looks a big bugger. How will you prune it etc.,or do you intend to let it do its own thing?

Monkey puzzle trees did used to be quite common but I must admit I haven’t seen one for a while. 
My hog restaurant has just closed for the evening, all three fed and watered. It’s become my nightly entertainment.

• Upvote 1

A friend of mine in our village has 2 monkey puzzle trees in her front garden - one is about 15 feet tall and the other a mere  8 feet.  They always look like a mother and child to me…..  

• Like 1

Oh yes, I remember that one too!  Used to see it when we went down Jonah’s to play in the stream and on the disused railway, collecting pussy willows and wild flowers.  Can’t remember seeing it for years, my brother lives on Sandfield Road so will look next time I go round there. 

We used to go down there as well although we approached it from the Arno Vale/ Somersby Rd. end. There used to be an ice cream shop close to the monkey puzzle tree. The railway wasn’t disused in my day and we used to put pennies on the line to see them flattened!

• Like 1

Just been watching a baby squirrel and its mother playing about in the Norwegian maple in my garden. You have to marvel at the way animals are designed for their habitat. They look almost like mercury in the way they move along branches and from branch to branch. Stood drinking my coffee and laughing at their antics.  Nature is fascinating.

• Like 1

The man who mows my lawns is not due for another week..........so decided to test myself and do the small front lawn.(about the size of the 6 yard box in football)..the back lawn is as big as the whole Penalty area.......

Well i did it but won't be doing it again anytime soon.....feel sick and absolutely drained..........no wonder i got someone else to do it........its all to do with being a full Laryengetomee (sp).........

At least i proved to mesen i can still do it............at a very big push:Shock:

• Like 3
On 5/10/2024 at 12:47 AM, benjamin1945 said:

At least i proved to mesen i can still do it............at a very big push

Ben, have you got a self propelled mower? I bought a battery one last year, self propelled, light weight and no starting issues. Slowly abandoning all my petrol and mains electric tools so much easier and no leads to trip over, just turn them on and go. Just remember to recharge after finishing the job

The only mains powered tool I am keeping is my leaf blower/vacuum as I have not found a battery powered one that can vacuum up the gum leaves and gum nuts as effectively.