Shostakovich isn't too bad, although much too modern for my taste. Stockhausen is much worse. Sir Adrian Boult, I think twas, who retorted on being asked whether he had played any Stockhausen, "No, but I trod in some on the way to the concert hall!"  

Each to their own. If we were all the same, what would be the use of fancy waistcoats?

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I once had to study Schoenberg's Ode To Napoleon Bonaparte for an exam. You wouldn't listen to something like that for fun! He was credited with creating the twelve tone system but, actually, Bach did it first!

As to Russian music...anything but Glinka!

I once listened to the music of Elgar in his home surroundings of the Malvern Hills whilst driving my Morgan which was built in nearby Malvern Link. An idyllic moment. I still have the cd but no longer have a Morgan.

Deerstalker! I had a leather flying helmet, goggles and a sheepskin flying jacket. Got to do things properly!

I wear similar stuff in the cooler months when driving open top cars.

Not Morgans ....... unless the 3 wheeled ones powered by British engines.

Talbots, Sunbeams and Rileys in more recent decades.....

Re. my ear)ier comments I was confusing him with Stockhausen mentioned by Jill.  Some Shostakovitch is not bad.  A)ways liked some Elgar since schooldays.  Favorite modern composer would probably be Richard Strauss.  Check out 'Ein Heldenleben.'  Trans'  A Heroes Life.'  Love it but some may not.  Needs to be played loud.   Also, 'Thus Spake Zarathustra.'  opening bars made famous in Kubricks '2001 A Space Odysey.'

• Like 1

I love Elgar, I can close my eyes listening to his music, it takes me to rolling green English hills, wit a steam train in the distance like it used to be in the 50's, no hustle and bustle, with rolling clouds casting their shadows over sheep and cows grazing, the sound of insects buzzing around.

• Like 1

siddha talking about 3 wheelers, my brother had a mate called Clink Clark who had a red bubble car. Unfortunately the reg began with PTO so invariably if he parked it anywhere it was turned over. 

Here is a modern composer I really enjoy Gustav Mahler.

Above is the 3rd movement from his fifth symphony.  After the first Mrs. L died almost 25 years ago I came across this and it brought me a lot of peace and good memories as well as tears.  Srill does even as I listen just now

I often joke there was nothing worth listening to after Bach.  This proves me wrong.  Hope you like it.