There used to be a chippy at the top of Arkwright Street in the late 60's somewhere near Boots Chemist shop, they used to sell superb chicken curry and chips! The Ex and myself used to drop by after kicking out time at the Sir Richard Arkwright pub.

!rulez! It's got to be the good old British Fish and Chips, even though I do like a hot curry.

We have a chippy in Beeston on Humber road that does great fish and chips, costs mind but worth every mouth full and if asked they will stick curry sauce on if wanted so you see you can have the best of both worlds.

Remember when it was "six pennorth 'of chips, meat pie and mushy peas"? smile2

Remember when it was "six pennorth 'of chips, meat pie and mushy peas"? smile2

You must have lived in a posh part of Nottingham, I remember paying three pennorth for chips...never could afford fish, pies or peas... :Friends:

oooo fish chips & curry sauce yum!!

I only had fish & chips twice when I was in UK,they were good.Once in York & once from Kamikaze Island,you can get small fish & chips there for 1.99 good value & big enough for me !tony! A dollop of mushy peas on top of the lot doesn't go amiss either.

But there's nowt like a fresh hot meat pie from a pie shop in Oz Caz!! That hot delicious gravy dribbling down yer chin and a coldun to wash it down!

Three course meal in Oz, meat pie and two cold tinnies!

There used to be a small bakery that also made it's own meat pies at the bottom of George Street in Bathurst NSW. At lunchtime, there used to be queue's leading outside for workers buying their hot fresh meat pies! They were fantastic.

There also was a pie shop in Wollongong NSW, that sold delicious meat pies!

no_compromise.jpg

Regarding meat pies, my mate was telling me that Tesco or Sainsburys in Carlton have started selling Pukka pies, yep that’s right the famous Pukka pies chip shops sell over here, he was bobbing himself telling me this, he was so excited.

I told him that I’d never seen them in Asda, but low and behold I walked in Asda the other week and there they were, so I popped one into me basket as apposed to me pocket as you do.

Several days later one dinnertime I thought to myself I fancy a pie, so I got this pukka pie out of the freezer and heated it up, did mash and marrowfat pies and oxo thick gravy with it.

How disappointed I was, there was no meat in it, just a sloppy mince…Sorry Pukka but I won't be buying another…I think I will be sticking to Asdas own brand in future.

Bl88dy hell must start to take me tablets again befor it's to late, your starting to make sense Dennis.. :crazy:

Image Courtesy of Pukka Web site

It looks like they spend all their money on supporting football teams Den instead of buying meat fer the insides of the pies. :Shock:

You've never lived unless you've tasted a REAL ozzie meat pie form a small bakery/pie shop! Now thats summat I do miss from down under real bad!

Best meat pies in Sydney is harry's Cafe de wheels in the city.

Lovely flaky pastry.big chunks of beef.gravy to die for topped off with a big helping of mushy peas.

YUMMMMMM!

Baz :ph34r:

We have a similar pie cart that parks outside Parliament House on North Terrace (Adelaide) that sell` pie floaters' A collection of mushy peas in which a meat pie is placed ,and floats !!!

However there are many glorious pie shops in the state,one of my favourites is at Gawler, -they sell unbeatable venison pies. Kangaroo.Buffalo,and Crocodile are pretty good too. B)

... boy ,do you people have to accept rubbish for food,and at what cost. For $5.95.(2 pounds) I can go to the local pub and be served with a meal that would blow your mind.

For $15 (5 pounds) I can have the most enormous meal of king prawns,butter fish crab,etc. together with chips and vegies or salad. I have never managed to get more than half way through. You cook the seafood on a very hot stone(stonegrill) to your own liking. Boy I wonder how long this high living in Oz can contiue.

I travel to the UK each year and unless you pay the earth,the food is usually mass produced plastic crap.

About the only exception I have found is an Indian place near Elstree film studio.

Cost, reasonable,food -good. I had to laugh though the owner was moaning about the increasing cost of the chicken and meat he imported from Australia!

I think the local dog and cat meat hadn`t changed much! !rotfl!

Yeah I agree the meat pies are to die for over here. But I must say we didn't really have a bad meal when we were in the UK. We stayed at this divine cottage in a place called Ashford in the water & the Ashford Arms had the best food,on a par with anything we have eaten anywhere else. You should see the size of the ribs they serve up,boy were they big !hungry!

Good old Fish and Chips with a large helping of mushy peas does it for me. I can remember when I was knee high to a grasshopper I used to save all the old newspapers and when I had a fair old pile I would take them down to my local chippy and would receive, for my troubles, a bag of chips. Eh remember things like a 9d mix or potatoe fritters or even a battered mars bar. !hungry!

• 2 months later...

I was exposed to the pies in Oz on a trip to Adelaide a few years back - but what really stuck in my memory were the "Chicken Dinners" - advertised in places like chip shops all over the place. Tried it one night when we were working late - not bad!

We worked in a power station at Port Adelaide and what I remember most was stopping off at a pub in Port Adelaide after work - if I remember correctly, they had a number of very good "own brews"! There was also a very good restaurant associated with the pub!