Is 2023 going to be a good year in the garden

13 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Last night, baby Spike turned up with his mum, Jemima.  She's a very good mum and was making sure he ate plenty of food. They were both making a very loud sniffing noise and baby Spike was jumping around and 'dancing'. Made me think I should have named him Ben!  He has a lot of growing to do, young Spike. He's a very cute, cheeky young hog.

Jill, tracking the progress of our hogs, the baby who also has a lot of growing to do comes out every other night we’ll before dusk for food, the bigger one is out every 3 nights after dark for food. Don’t even know if they’re related but nice to have them both.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have one less PLANTPOT with a flowering plant in this morning........my lovely widow next door has been quite ill lately....So i placed my 'Pot' right in front of her bedroom window late last night.

My garden is looking colourful now, a bit earlier than previous years but I'm not complaining     Three different Roses in the front garden,(yellow, pink, white) Lupin

I’ve just been trying to clear a very weedy patch that was formerly a mint bed. I thought it would be better to pull the weeds out rather than strim them off. I used my long leverage weed puller. The

Jill, the baby has been out again early tonight in the same spot 2 nights in a row which is great. No sight of the bigger one tonight.

• Upvote 1

Jill, so excited we have seen the new baby and what we think is the mom together tonight. Look how cute they are!

IMG-2140.jpg

• Like 2

So pleased they are still visiting, Mrs B.  I've seen Spike and his mum a few times and also Spike on his own.  Tonight, one of last year's babies is in the garden and was showing too much interest in an injured bird.  I have put the bird in a cat cage and brought him indoors. He's stressed already, so I'll leave him in the cat cage with seed and water until the morning, in a quiet, dark room. He probably won't survive the night but he deserves every chance. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Haha Beekay, those little plates are now designated as hog plates and they’re almost 30 years old. 

• Like 1

Jill, hope the bird survives the night, probably been attacked by a cat - oops

Sadly, my avian chum did not recover. I suspect he'd had a run in with the sparrowhawk who frequents my garden. At least his last moments were quiet and free from the attentions of cats and hedgehogs. I saw three of our spiny friends last night so at least they're thriving.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Jill, how much dried catfood do you put out for your hedgehogs ? I’m finding that I have to keep topping it up and also slugs arrive on the plate when they’re not there (so extra food for them) Don’t want to over feed them although they are drinking the water too.

It seems to depend on the individual hog, Mrs B. Some like it more than others.  I put a bit out and if they eat it all, I give them more. Slugs are a problem here, too.  There are also cats who will scoff the dried food if they get there first!

My cats don’t seem bothered but I do tend to wait until I know that the hog is about so he gets there first. Glad I’m doing the right thing with putting more down. He seems to like the mixed grill combo with the slugs on. I’m cake testing this afternoon for a local gardening group. What joy!

• Upvote 1

Would'nt surprise me if our esteemed wildlife protection group of 'Joan of Hogs', also leave a glass of red wine for their prickly visitors.

Along with a half decent cigar and paper to read. thumbsup

• Upvote 1

Wouldn't expect any less a comment from you Barrie  thumbsup

In saying that we should look after our wildlife after all they've suffered enough at the hands of humankind

Rog

• Upvote 1

I finally have tomatoes ripening outdoors, and more outdoor Cucumbers thanI know what to do with 

Soo, thought for a bit and... Tsatsiki!!

Never made it before, but I got Greek style yoghurt and a bunch of mint while out.. so I'll give it a try tomorrow...

Hardest thing was finding mint..so for future use I'll see if I can get a sprig of it to root and grow it in a pot. Not letting it loose in my borders...

I have one less PLANTPOT with a flowering plant in this morning........my lovely widow next door has been quite ill lately....So i placed my 'Pot' right in front of her bedroom window late last night........her son came to see her just now and told me its made her day...already............that's made my Day...:).....

I;m just an old 'Romantic' thou knows..........

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I've never tried tsatsiki but I love raita.

Basically the same, But Raita uses normal yoghurt to make quite a runny sauce, whereas Tsatsiki uses thick 'Greek style' yoghurt. Also not sure there's cucumber in Raita.

35 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

I have one less PLANT POT with a flowering plant in this morning........my lovely widow next door has been quite ill lately....So i placed my 'Pot' right in front of her bedroom window late last night........her son came to see her just now and told me its made her day...already............that's made my Day...:).....

I;m just an old 'Romantic' thou knows..........

I'd heard of the tooth fairy who comes during the night.........but this is the first time I've heard of a plant pot fairy.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

Also not sure there's cucumber in Raita.

A friend who was a Cordon Bleu chef used to do an Indian meal for a group of us once a year. She always used cucumber in her raita and it was the best I've ever tasted. Sadly, she died some time ago and no more raita!

• Like 1