4 hours ago, mary1947 said:

WHAT IS GOING WRONG WITH OUR WORLD 

After what happened in Nottingham  it makes you wonder?

Last night there was an incedent on the park on Church Brinsley.  An air ambulance was called for, but the police are not saying anything (Just an incident)  but it is closed and i think the roads are also closed.     according to what I have heard it was a stabbing but don't quote me on this.

Will post any more info later.

More info here - https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/local-news/official-police-statement-significant-disturbance-8523956

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The suspect in custody is a West African migrant with a history of violence. Whether this is a dinghy migrant or otherwise isn’t clear but either way lots of unchecked individuals from violent war tor

Not sure if to reply here or on the political thread but I’ll settle for here.   I said that the man in custody was a west African migrant. As far as I am aware he is. I don’t know but will

Just stand back and think for a moment and look at the facts as they unfolded. The suspect had stabbed people apparently at random and used a vehicle to run over people apparently at random. Doesn’t t

Now there’s been a stabbing in Leicester!

On 6/15/2023 at 10:25 AM, Dreamon said:

Wouldn't that rant be better posted to Twitter or some political forum?

Not a rant. Simply me explaining to Beekay why I would not be taking up his suggestion re: 'News' Channels.

You are very new here, (Welcome, by the way..) and therefore probably unaware of the 'history' of 'Politics' on Nottstalgia.

For many years 'Political' discussion was just banned, although there was at one point a whole raft of seemingly 'approved' threads surrounding Brexit. I don't recall clearly what happened to those.

However, despite the 'ban', some people, and some more than others, persisted in throwing in 'one liners', about some person, social group, or whatever, which I challenged and attempted to refute, because I hate prejudice in all of it's forms and prejudice is often wrapped up in generalisations. For example: 'Everybody in (name council estate of your choice) is a workshy criminal'. Clearly not true.

So, I was accused by some of 'always wanting the last word', although in reality I sat on my hands many more times than I reacted. Also, if you think it through.. Someone makes a 'loaded'/'prejudiced' or otherwise offensive remark....THEY 'have the last word'..unless they are challenged...

Certain others would retreat behind their 'right to an opinion'..even though their 'opinion' ran counter to the facts. I hardly ever pay attention to what is said by Piers Morgan, but I do agree with his repetition of the old adage that 'Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but nobody is entitled to their own facts.' It's just a pity he doesn't apply that principle to himself.

There's also a bit of an issue around different individuals' definition of 'Politics'. It seems that for some, a discussion only becomes 'Political', when 'Party Political' stances are adopted. I take a much wider view of Politics, because Politics in some form or other pervades our lives so that our opinions on many issues which might be broadly described as 'cross party' ( Brexit/Migration/Abortion/Gender Issues etc.. as examples) are ultimately Political, because they relate to the organisation of society and those within it.

We can try to avoid Politics, but it will not ignore us.  I've used the definition: 'Politics is any form of human interaction which determines 'who gets what'', but even that doesn't completely cover it.

But whatever, eventually in his wisdom CliffTon created the 'Anything Political' thread, and it has been more or less the agreed solution that any 'discussion', which becomes overtly Political, is taken there.  A sort of more civilised version of the cry 'Take it outside lads!!', whenever a fight kicked off in a pub.

Reading all of that back to myself it does come across as me being 'always right'. I'm not and I sometimes admit it...:rolleyes:  Also, there's no denying I'm a very 'Political Animal', who enjoys debating. I don't see it as personal.

And finally, I'm not on Twitter, this site has its own 'Political Forum', which I clearly stated I was taking my observations to, and lastly, if you think what you quoted was a 'Rant', you ain't seen nothing yet...:laugh:

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

Not a rant. Simply me explaining to Beekay why I would not be taking up his suggestion re: 'News' Channels.

You are very new here, (Welcome, by the way..) and therefore probably unaware of the 'history' of 'Politics' on Nottstalgia.

For many years 'Political' discussion was just banned, although there was at one point a whole raft of seemingly 'approved' threads surrounding Brexit. I don't recall clearly what happened to those.

Thanks for taking the trouble to provide that background info. Am much obliged.  (I'm not sure I fully agree with your characterisation of the public figures you name but that's another discussion!)  :)

• Like 1
On 6/15/2023 at 10:35 AM, Dreamon said:

How can this not be linked to migration? If this African migrant had not been permitted to stay in the UK then this would not have occurred.

That is of course undeniable. My issue is with the implication that immigrants in general are somehow more likely to commit violent crime than the indigenous population.  The evidence I posted in the Politics thread throws that notion into doubt.

On 6/15/2023 at 10:35 AM, Dreamon said:

Almost all unprovoked senseless knife attacks on the public in the UK are by non-white perpetrators - be they paranoid-schizophrenic blacks (such as Zephaniah McLeod in Birmingham) or religious fanatics. All the signs are this gentleman is an immigrant paranoid-schizophrenic religious convert.

That is a very much more questionable statement. You are going to have to come up with clear evidence to support it.

For Knife assaults in general, (not quite the same thing..I know) the ONS has Inverclyde in Scotland with the highest incidence of knife crime, with a population that is 98.8% White British.

This thread started as a news story about an incident that happened in Nottingham where three people have lost their lives and three people have been injured. It has now drifted away, any more political content can be posted in the politics thread.

• Like 2

Fair point Den.

I did try to move the political aspects to the Politics thread on Weds.

To be clear 3 people were murdered. To say they ‘lost their lives’ is diminishing what happened. People loose their lives to illness or accident. These people were murdered brutally and horribly. 

• Like 2
18 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Fair point Den.

I did try to move the political aspects to the Politics thread on Weds.

Yes you did but at 11.25pm or very nearly Thursday.

At the time I suggested keeping it here, 90% of the comments on the subject were here on this thread ‘news flash’ and as it was its own thread it seemed it would complicate matters to split it which I think it has. Where does a non political comment on the subject go. However the moderator has spoken. So be it. 

I owe several people replies,which I'll post here or in 'Anything Political later today, but after most of the morning on here, I'm going into the garden and will return this evening.

18 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

Valdo Calocane........it turns out he has dual Portuguese/Guinea-Bissau nationality, and grew up in Haverfordwest.

At this stage the police statement about Valdo Calocane pains a picture of a model immigrant who is hard-working and studious with no criminal record. He seems to have sadly developed a serious mental disorder. 

Whatever psychosis struck him that fateful day, it doesn't really explain why a "disturbed but decent" person went out that evening equipped with a large knife; nor why he attempted to burgle a house. Perhaps further police statements will reconcile these different aspects.

• 1 month later...
On 6/16/2023 at 12:58 PM, DJ360 said:

That is of course undeniable. My issue is with the implication that immigrants in general are somehow more likely to commit violent crime than the indigenous population.  The evidence I posted in the Politics thread throws that notion into doubt.

I appreciate that, by your own admission you are naively happy with watching only the BBC.

Please check out History Debunked on utube.

• Like 2

HSR, I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong...

I have not 'admitted' to watching 'only' the BBC, and I am very far from naive..  But since you've never been one for letting facts get in the way of a good story carry on..

You may eventually understand one of my posts and make a logical, even if contrary, response.

As for 'debunking History'  After watching several snippets, I find that just like 'conventional wisdom', .. Youtube 'Wisdom' is frequently flawed.

The trick is to employ discrimination.  I thoroughly recommend it.