OK in your opinion what make of jeans were the best for Fashion, Durability and praticality in the 60s? Wrangler or Levis

Roger

Personally I wore Wranglers jeans in those days shirt and jacket too.....got my first pair of Wranglers from Jeffs at the top of Alfreton Road..also my first pair of Hipster Flairs..Orange in Colour, I went back the following week and bought a pair of green ones with a pair of Purple patent shoes....Nice.... :yahoo:

Dunno how or why i had them, but i had a pair of Wrangler jeans that were cut offs, made into shorts, before i got a full length pair. but, my first pair of "real " jeans were Levi 501's bought from Stevensons on Radford Rd, for 52/6d !and, a short time later, a shirt very similar to the one Stevie Winwood from Spencer Davis group had, bought from "Jeffs Fashion Centre on Alfreton rd

Eventually too, after a lot of me pestering her, my mum bought me a Levis jacket, again from Stevensons, paid for with a Provident shoppers check! Unfortunately, this was stolen from her washing line, having survived my scooter crash on the A1 previously................ :(

God I forgot all about the old Provident cheque,I even remember the woman who used to collect the dosh from us,Dorothy her name was,tall lady with plaits & red lips lips0

Personally I wore Wranglers jeans in those days shirt and jacket too.....got my first pair of Wranglers from Jeffs at the top of Alfreton Road..also my first pair of Hipster Flairs..Orange in Colour, I went back the following week and bought a pair of green ones with a pair of Purple patent shoes....Nice.... :yahoo:

Correct me if i'm wrong but only those sort of cowboys wore Wranglers didn't they Den LOl!!

Meant to add, istill have that original pair, 29" waist!!!! obviously they are in a slightly worn condition!

Now, did you know, there are shops on and around Carnaby St in London that still sell the , what i call "proper" 501, with the salvage seem finished in a white edge with red stitching,(or vice versa, havent got em to hand to check)..so guess how much?

£500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and i still have several pairs!..anybody wanna buy some?

Correct me if i'm wrong but only those sort of cowboys wore Wranglers didn't they Den LOl!!

Be careful Den in that gear you might get offered a role in a movie...

Brokeback Mountain II

I still have a denim Levi Jacket bought from Jeff's on Hockley. (sad or what)

I also had a light blue Wrangler cord jacket.

Can you remember those?

Ah, Jeffs on Hockley, id forgotten that one, but i do remember those cord Wrangler jackets,speaking of which, a mate had a Levi jacket made of a light tan hide of some sort, with a darker collar, selling at 18 guineas, compared to the denim jackets 63 bob! It was a while later on, in the 70's that just popping into Machins on Peveril st, unearthed a treasure trove of original 501's, that had apparently gone out of fashion as flares were the order of the day, so they were just left in the stock room.

Basically, id seen the Fonz in "Happy Days" wearing 501's, as were de riguer for any biker in the States, and going through a ridiculous Fonz dressalike stage, !rotfl! went trawling around the shops to see if anyone still had them in, i still have them!

Back to the 60's bit though, what footwear did you wear with your jeans, at one time, it was the fashion to wear Desert or Fell boots with them for casual, but brogues if you wore your suit jacket, for a smarter effect. That reminds me......actually, ill stick it in a new thread, cos this ones about jeans!

What about 'BRUTUS' jeans, if you could not afford Levis.

My other half bought me a pair of Wrangler denims, in Las Vegas Christmas 2005,

Theyr CR4P

Surely Brutus "when i wake up, in the morning light i pull on my jeans and i feel alright........................i pull brutus jeans on.......... i pull my brutus jeans on............." were not around until the 70's? As for some more quality yanky brands, Dickies and Lee were good at the time.....

The best ones(Jeans)for me in the early 60s were Flemings.

Made and sold in Liverpool.They were just about bullet proof unless you dropped your motorbike and slid down the road on your arse.

Been there done that and got the T shirt. B)

Baz :ph34r:

• 3 years later...

It was a while later on, in the 70's that just popping into Machins on Peveril st, unearthed a treasure trove of original 501's, that had apparently gone out of fashion as flares were the order of the day, so they were just left in the stock room.

Looks like flares are back.