Just seen on the news that Trevor Francis, Britain's first £1 million footballer, has died aged 69. Apparently he suffered a fatal heart attack whilst in Spain. 

Probably best known for Cloughie telling him to take his hands out of his pockets, when presenting him with an award, and scoring with a flying header versus Malmo to win the 1979 European Cup for Forest

R.I.P

• Like 3

George Alagiah, also in his 60s, has gone to report from farther afield. He was my mother's favourite newsreader. She had never met him but always said she thought he was a lovely person. According to what I've read, she was right. Well done, George.

• Like 1

A sad day for sure.  Trevor Francis was widowed about 6 years ago, it must have been difficult for him to deal with losing his wife when they were both still young.  I’ve been listening to his contemporaries, including Martin O’Neill,  on Talk Sport this afternoon and at it appears he was very well-liked.  
Then we lose George Alagiah too.  My favourite newsreader too Jill, in fact last week when the Huw Edwards news broke I was wondering how George was getting on with his illness.  He’s  struggled with ‘C’ for many years but the fight became too hard, bless him.  
RIP to two good men. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

My father used to complain about Moira Stuart. Why did the BBC employ people who mumbled?  Couldn't they get someone with clear diction to read the news.  I didn't understand what he meant. I could hear her perfectly well.  "It's not Moira Stuart," my exasperated mother would exclaim, "It's you. You're deaf!". Eventually, I dragged him off for a hearing test. It was true. He was deaf and the most noticeable band of hearing loss was the pitch at which (having a rather deep voice) Moira Stuart spoke.

Dad didn't get on with his hearing aid and, most of the time, refused to wear it. Moira Stuart, poor woman, invariably got the blame!

My father used to love Moira, he was an absolute stickler for the english language and she had the most beautiful speaking voice.

I can remember Trevor Francis being sold for £1m, it seemed an awful lot of money in those days when we were all struggling.

Very sad about George, he had struggled so much but never gave up.

RIP Trevor Francis        Just remember what Clough used to say to you  

Get your hands out of your pockets young man your a footballer!!