Things our parents used to say

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anywhere, especially the house, was untidy, my Mum would say. it: 'Looked like Jackie Pownall's' (I believe Pownalls scrap yard was down by the old Vic baths?) Another variation was .'Looks like

My old mum, now passed, grew up in old St Anne's and knew hard times from being little until she met and married dad, one of her regular sayings was "If you can't afford it wi real money, you can

Tomlinson, In answer to your question #1387, I used to have some really good Tide Marks on my neck and running up my arms. The back of our house on Hardy's Drive, Gedling was a shared yard, I can'

We used to joke as kids, about someone picking us up and kidnapping us when playing outside at night. Mam used to say, 'don't worry, when they get you under the lamplight, they'll drop you'

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

Yep mine too! in fact I thinki 'm guilty of saying it myself Anne...

Got a few more for yer.

If it was a hot day my mam would be 'sweating cobs'

If someone didn't move quick enough they were 'too slow to carry 'ot dinners'

If they were heavy handed they'd be 'too strong for light work'

A change is as good as a rest

You're like a man I'm maiden aunt to

Who's heard of that lot?

Variations I know

=your too slow to carry hats to a funeral, and if they where heavy handed they were 'About as much use as a chocolate tea pot'

;)

• 2 months later...

Who remembers, when your parents would pull a jumper over your head to take it off, they'd say 'skin a bunny' I said it to my kids too. My brother was here recently and as he tucked a label back in on the back of my top, he said 'your tongue's hanging out' Another one I'd forgotten.

You bought back a smell mememory there Katy

What about when you used to remove a nylon jumper when you were also wearing a nylon shirt ,that static crackle the sparks and then the smell of electicity burning

Didn't we say "Charlie's dead" or something similar if a girl's slip was showing below her skirt.

We didn't call it a "slip" either, but I cannot remember the name we used! (Old age!)

I remember my mate telling this girl that her slip was showing and quick as a flash she said "So's your mams"

• 4 weeks later...
We had five pinters and double baggers, usually down the Palaise on a Wednesday night.That is to say you needed 5 pints inside you before some of em started to look attractive and with the double baggers you put one on your own head in case the wind blew hers off

;)

Now, it's funny you should say that! Nottingham was the first place anyone ever talked to me about alsatian women - In fact I knew a girl called Alsatian Pat (but that was for a slightly different reason) (actually she thought she was just called Pat) (if you're on this site somewhere Pat - I always liked you anyway)

The other thing I heard for the first time was 'Twitchel' which I thought was some kind of disease at first and then 'Jitty' which confused me 'cos we weren't anywhere near the river. I have heard this in other places since.

I also think Nottingham is the only place where anyone says 'ey up me duck' although in the Potteries, where Igrew up, they do say 'Hiya duck'

PS - we always used the second bag to be sick in afterwards !sickly!

They use 'me duck' all along the Trent Valley . From Crewe, through Stoke, Rugely ,Burton etc .It's one of the only things I say to folk round here and they understand what I mean

In another thread, Den just reminded me of a couple my mum used to say:

"You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear" and "mutton dressed up as lamb" were a couple of her favorites!

One of my dads favorites that one about silk purses Eric 'cos he had come from 'nowt' himsen and didn't expect us to 'over achieve' .Two of us went to university and one of us saw the world through work and pleasure,so I think he would be happy if he was still alive

Blackclocks for cockroaches is another Nottingham word.

Stems from German colliers going back a century or more.

Blackclocks for cockroaches is another Nottingham word.

Stems from German colliers going back a century or more.

Blackclocks...bastards!

When we moved into our first house down here in the Kingdom of Redhill there was an extensive kid's sandpit in the back garden (i.e. a tin bath sunk into the ground full of sand). Mum decided we needed rid of the sandpit as it 'attracted blacklocks'.

Stymied

I had forgotten about blackclocks, horrible things, I hated them. But then again I hated all insects and would scream bloody murder if I saw one. Thankfully I've matured and they don't bother me one bit.

My mum also called wasps and bees - wobbies. Anyone else heard that one? She used to squash them in the window ledged with a knife, saying 'die you bogger' I can hear her now.

• Upvote 1

Yep - "wobbies" for us too!

Then if we were "pesterin" mum about what was for pudding on Sunday she would always reply "s*it wi sugar on" - it was the only time I heard her swear!

Then if we were "pesterin" mum about what was for pudding on Sunday she would always reply "s*it wi sugar on" - it was the only time I heard her swear!

Must be a Redhill thing Eric! :-)

I think I heard that expression every Sunday until I left home.