• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe it's a tin Lizzie  ? ( original name for the Ford T )

You’ve been spoiled by your posher cars. If it keeps the wind and rain off, what more do you need. Bet little M gets more attention than your other car(s). 

Saga quoted me just now...£991 minimum, and rising, depending on extra services required.

Sheilas wheel surprised me by offering the same as Saga for almost 20% less. Previously they had been amongst the highest...

Having looked at Money Supermarket, they had nothing which was better than my Saga quote. Their best was around £40 more.

I tried Santander - as mentioned earlier - and they beat my Saga quote by £20, which is ok but not worth the hassle.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/14/2023 at 5:47 PM, LizzieM said:

Bk, I’ve just wasted 15 minutes of my life filling in an on-line form for Lloyds Insurance and their quote for the S8 is £3.5k, so I haven’t put my car details in!  I’m just pleased he hasn’t still got the Aston Martin ;)  We hate insurance but it’s necessary.  

Just found this post I made about a year ago, when our motor insurances were last due.  At that time we got a more ‘acceptable’ quote of £1381 for our S8, but still ridiculously expensive.  We’ve just had a renewal quote from the same provider (M&S Insurance) and this time it’s £3502!  
As the car has hardly been driven in the past 7 months due to my husband’s mini-stroke and he was advised not to drive, we’d already discussed getting rid of both of our cars and buying one that we’re both happy with.  We really don’t need 2 cars anymore, although until recently I was dead against losing one of them.  
The other day we went over to Derby Drivability Centre. An appointment that was booked by a Community Nurse who’s visited my husband regularly since the stroke.  He had to take a written/memory test and then an hour driving test in a dual controlled car.  Must admit he was a little nervous about it, even buying a Highway Code book as bedtime reading, well it’s over 60 years since he took a driving test!  He passed with flying colours and was given a ‘sustificate’ to prove it!   However, I do think that after going 7 months sitting in the passenger seat and being driven around by me he’s not fussed about driving anymore anyway.  

4 hours ago, letsavagoo said:

Insure the Morris 8 Lizzie. Bet you’d get change from a hundred or so. Free Road tax and no mot required. 

Insured Little Mo recently for just over £100 for the year.  Not bad but she hardly ever goes onto the road! 

1 hour ago, LizzieM said:

But it’s like riding around in a biscuit tin!  

You’ve been spoiled by your posher cars. If it keeps the wind and rain off, what more do you need. Bet little M gets more attention than your other car(s). 

• Upvote 1