Recognised as being from Nottingham

Mrs B I think I would have taken it back to them. The butcher in ROT was Onions. He are once in our restaurant and had Italian sausage. He loved it so My husband asked him if he ( my husband) would make some for him if he gave him all the ingredients needed. He made them but they were awful. My husband asked him what else had he put in the ingredients that he gave him He’d put Rusk in which Italian sausage doesn’t have. He was worried that it looked different and thought it wouldn’t bind. He did make it again and that time it was good but my husband wouldn’t give him the recipe. He supplied everything in the proportions needed and got the meat from Onions.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some European truck drivers were sitting in a greasy spoon discussing the merits of their various trucks. The Swedish driver said "I have a Volvo truck and I pick up a load from Stockholm go via

A few years ago, our friends from Radcliffe  on Trent were visiting us. We took them to the Desert Botanical Gardens in Phoenix. It is a huge place with about 6 different trails to walk. We were on on

My 3rd story of a coincidence.  My hubby went to Hogarth infants and juniors and has a friend on FB who was in his class all through these 2 schools. Tarn is her name, and she often liked something I

morning OZ sorry evening OZ  O-HHHHH! Tomato Sausage used to love it, but it had to be pork farms brand. since PF closed manufactors have made all flavour types but i have tried ,most of them. 1 word,,    rubbish!!!!

• Like 1

I for one have never heard of a tomato sausage.

Can you still get potato flavoured crisps?

Tomato sausage was a favourite in our house when I was a child. My father was quite partial to it. It was for sale in most butcher's shops.  As to crisps, @Beekay, they're just a bag of chemicals and flavourings these days. 

• Like 1

How come I've never heard of these gastronomic delicacies.

What a sheltered life I lead. What next, Potted meat and Colwick cheese.

Isn’t Colwick cheese just soured milk, put in a sock and hung from a washing line?

I’ve just been up to Spring Lane Farm Shop where they had a huge variety of their home made sausages. I selected the ‘pork and sun dried tomato’ and a large chunk of Colston Bastard Stilton cheese.

18 hours ago, nonnaB said:

Mrs B I think I would have taken it back to them. The butcher in ROT was Onions. 

We lived there 75-77 and the butcher then was Hacketts.

My 3rd story of a coincidence.  My hubby went to Hogarth infants and juniors and has a friend on FB who was in his class all through these 2 schools. Tarn is her name, and she often liked something I would post, so I sent her a friend request.  She accepted, and me, killing time one day, looked at her friend list to see if I knew anyone on there. I recognized a name, Colin Fryer, and asked her how she knew him? I knew him from my teen years as he was a neighbour of my best friend Pat. She said her husband and Colin grew up together as theyliveda couple of doors apart. So I said, then your husband must have known Pat, she said yes, and both Colin and her husband went to Pat's 21st birthday party.  i said I was there too, in fact I have a photo given to me after the party of me dancing with a lad. I didn't know who he was, and never saw him again. I showed her the pic and it's her now husband.

• Like 4
On 2/15/2024 at 3:29 PM, katyjay said:

We lived there 75-77 and the butcher then was Hacketts.

Onions must have taken or bought the shop after that. It was definitely Onions when we lived there. 

It was Onions when we lived there in the late 60’s, early 70’s. Thanks for reminding me nonnaB! 

On 2/16/2024 at 12:19 AM, IAN FINN said:

Potted dog was great Beekay when i serviced and repaired the vans for UYC they gave me lots of that in the brown pot dish it was good on crackers.

What was the yellow stuff on the top of potted dog?

Butter, I believe. Love potted dog.

• Like 1

There used to be a bakers, near the top of Boden street that, not only sold potted meat but Salmon paste as well. These were scooped out of a dish with a flat knife and put on to paper then placed onto scales to weigh your quarter, (4.oz). If underweight, another scoop added. This bakery also sold cakes and my absolute favourite was 'Nelson Squares', the filling I was led to believe was made using stale cake. But they were a delight with custard ! I used to go to school with the lad who lived there. ( I'm pretty sure his name was Hurd or Hird) But Iv'e been known to be wrong.

The name Richard keeps ruuning through my mind Jill, but I would'nt swear to it. As stated, Iv'e been wrong afore.x 

Might not have been Richard. Like I said, was'nt sure. Of course I'm talking about the early to mid 50s. Iv'e done a bit of mileage since then.