Hi,

I am in the process of transferring my old Vinyl LP's to CD's. I was very much into folk music in the '60's with a collection ranging from EFDSS records, to the Watersons, Bob Davenport, Ian Campbell Folk, High Level Ranters, Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, the Weavers, "Peter Paul and Mary", etc., etc.

I don't know if there are any copyright issues with re-recording old music to CD's and offering swaps, but I would love to get hold of any of Ewan McColl stuff that might still be around. Does copyright run out at some point ? Most of what I have is close to forty five years old.

Hugs Alison

I aim to do that too, I bought Adobe Audition 1.5 to electronically clean my records up. I still have an extensive record collection with the usual clicks on them that I want to remove.

I got some freebie software that came with the pre-amp. Seems to work fine. Bought a new stylus for the turntable too. Most of my LP's haven't been played in thirty odd years, so still in pretty good nick.

Hugs Alison

I used to tape all my later LP's Alison, so all those around 20 years old have only been played a couple of times. The older ones will have "pops and clicks" on them, unavoidable.

I have to build stereo preamp, or use a graphic equilizer as my turntable doesn't have enough output to drive the soundcard in my computer.

I set everything up some moths back to make a start, and thats how far I progressed!

Ayupmeducks,

<QUOTE>I have to build stereo preamp, or use a graphic equilizer as my turntable doesn't have enough output to drive the soundcard in my computer. </QUOTE>

I bought a stereo pre-amp over the 'Net a year back. It was only a few quid, and delivered within days.

Alison

I thought about that Alison, got tons of stuff lying around though and I hate spending when I can do it myself.. LOL. I'll try an equilizer first though, I'm sure the one I built a few years back has a preamp in it. God, this gerrin old screws the memory up... smile2

God, this gerrin old screws the memory up... smile2

No it don't. bu99er orff. You need to read more of Katyjay's funnies, that will knock the years off. I fell off my seat reading about the 2 carat memorial stone.

You are only old when you use your age as an excuse for not doing something.

Hugs Alison

• 6 years later...

Thought it might be worthwhile resurrecting this thread rather than start a new one. Happy to "trade" any of my home/studio burnt CD's of the Watersons, Bob Davenport, Ian Campbell Folk, High Level Ranters, Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, the Weavers, "Peter Paul and Mary", Julie Felix, etc., etc. for any of Ewan McColl's early works.

Hugs

Alison

Hi,

I am in the process of transferring my old Vinyl LP's to CD's. I was very much into folk music in the '60's with a collection ranging from EFDSS records, to the Watersons, Bob Davenport, Ian Campbell Folk, High Level Ranters, Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, the Weavers, "Peter Paul and Mary", etc., etc.

I don't know if there are any copyright issues with re-recording old music to CD's and offering swaps, but I would love to get hold of any of Ewan McColl stuff that might still be around. Does copyright run out at some point ? Most of what I have is close to forty five years old.

Hugs Alison

I still play L.P.records on my 40 year old equipment. Several C.D.`s I own and several records are compared.In my opinion the records sound infinitely better. (some are 60 years old). What I will mention whilst here,I just bought 3 Shure Styluses from America on E bay. Very unhappy they sent inferior types.Anyone else had similar problem?

The advantage of copying LP's to CD's is that I can play them in the car. Plus I can make up my own playlists, for instance taking four or five original Bob Dylan LP's, picking out the tracks I particularly like, then building a single CD with them in the order I prefer. Done the same with Peter, Paul & Mary, and Joan Baez.

Funny thing is I can still remember most of the words, so get to sing along when alone in the car. :)

Hi,

Hugs Alison

I am sure certain that about two or three years back "sir " cliff Richard began a legal attempt to have copyright of music extended from fifty years to seventy five years. I am equally sure that somewhere in the Saturday Telegraph there was an item suggesting that copying from vinyl to CD is "legally" illegal. But how will they know?

The advantage of copying LP's to CD's is that I can play them in the car. Plus I can make up my own playlists, for instance taking four or five original Bob Dylan LP's, picking out the tracks I particularly like, then building a single CD with them in the order I prefer. Done the same with Peter, Paul & Mary, and Joan Baez.

Funny thing is I can still remember most of the words, so get to sing along when alone in the car. :)

The best thing about doing this is that instead of just the more usual ten to fifteen songs on an L.P you can get up to twenty three tracks on a C.D. Makes for a much better sing-a-long session on long drives.

• Upvote 1

John makes up playlists and puts them on the ipod which we plug into the aux jack in the car. We then have enough music for "miles and miles and miles"

I don't know about anyone else but I find all the crackling and hissing noise on an old record adds to the magic of listening to a really old song. I like to search the Internet for really old Blues songs and this is how they were recorded in those days. In the case of alisoncc (#1), she would obviously want to clean the sound up when she transfers her music from the 60's.

I am with you Michael, I was given a CD of Steeleye Span's album, All Around My Hat, and to tell the truth I think the CD sounds a lot worse than the LP, because it has been cleaned up too much, the sound is too pure, to me that album is the LP sound not the CD Sound..

I have found this with most music of my youth, when it is put on CD's, they seem to clean it up too much for my ears, may be if I heard the music on CD's first, I would think the opposite.....

When music is turned from a tape or LP into digital, the peaks of the soundwaves top and bottom are removed or if you wish, lost. Therefore a CD isn't the 'complete' music. On an LP everything is on there that was on the original recorded tape. MP3's are even worse than a CD.

From my first Prof. " By the time you can afford a system that can play a range above 20,000 Hz. your ears and brain won`t !"

(The average adult human can hear sounds between 20 Hz and 16,000 Hz, so you may not hear anything during the last few seconds.)

I used to be able to hear bats in my younger years, most folk can't hear them, so what is the frequency a bat emits it's squeak at??? Has to be over 20Khz surely.

I recall hearing a high pitched tone from a communication console on one face I worked as a young apprentice, none of the other fellers could hear it, but recall it drove me bloody crazy.

Yeah, bats in the belfry Stan, but, I could hear bats, probably not all of them, now I have a job hearing birds twittering over the ringing and loss of hearing over the years.

A couple of things spring to mind about the difference between vinyl and CD. Firstly, CD's are mostly mastered differently in a way that makes them more suited to playing over the radio. This led to the so-called 'loudness wars' where it was hard to pick out individual instruments. Listening for extended periods of time actually became tiring. Vinyl is mastered far more accurately with less added 'loudness', apart from having higher thresholds. Interestingly, despite the fact that it's impossible to hear above the 192kbps mp3 cutoff, there have been some interesting studies. One found, by measuring brain activity, that listening to vinyl stimulated areas of the brain far more than Cd's, even though, in theory we shouldn't be able to hear the difference in frequency range.

I have a USB pre-amp that the specs show to have a flat frequency response over the whole of the audio range, coupled to a belt driven Sony turntable. Then use a couple of freebie progs to manipulate the captured input - Audacity and DC-Art32. What goes onto the CD's I burn is very much determined by myself. I leave some clicks, etc., in as to remove them also removes some elements of the original sound. Whilst out driving recently a friend asked if I had a turntable in the boot. :)

By far the biggest plus is being able to play my old vinyls with minimal hassle. Previously they had just stood on the floor of a linen press for years, unused and almost forgotten. The sound is head and shoulders above anything an MP3 player can produce. I also have an oldish Sony disk walkman - 20Gb disk, that uses their proprietary codex - ATRAC3. Being able to listen to orginal Bob Dylan and Joan Baez records whilst on the train is magic. Almost filled the 20Gb with Peter, Paul and Mary, the Weavers, the Watersons, lots of very original Irish and Scottish folk, etc. complete with vinyl clicks..

The USB pre-amp that I use is an XP203. Don't know if they are still available. Bought mine probably about six years ago. Also use a Hi-fi headset plugged into the computer to monitor the sound when manipulating it. The Audacity software enables me to remove individual clicks without affecting the surrounding sound. This I found preferable to using a filter on the whole track.